Giorgio van Straten
|Giorgio van Straten|
|Occupation||Novelist, librettist, playwright, editor, translator, critic, manager|
|Notable works||Il mio nome a memoria
(My Name, A Living Memory)
|Notable awards||Grand Official Order of Merit of the Republic, Viareggio Prize, Zerilli-Marimò Prize for Italian Fiction|
|Relatives||Louis Fles, Barthold Fles
George Fles, Michael Fles
Bart Berman, Thijs Berman
Giorgio van Straten (born 1955) is an Italian writer and manager of arts organizations. His first novel Generazione was published in 1987. In 2000 he won four literary prizes for Il mio nome a memoria, published in English as My Name, A Living Memory (2003), the story of his Jew-Dutch family from 1811 to our days. That same year he was awarded the Grand Official Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.
In addition to being a novelist, he is also an editor of texts and a translator. He translated from English into Italian The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Giunti, 1992),The Call of the Wild by Jack London (Giunti, 1994),The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (Giunti, 1995) and The Pavilion on the dunes of Robert Louis Stevenson (The Unit, 1997). He is one of the directors of the Italian literary magazine Nuovi Argomenti.
He also wrote texts for musical theater: Tre voci for voice, string orchestra, percussion and tape, music by Giorgio Battistelli, commissioned by the Sagra Musicale Umbra (First performance: Assisi, 1996); Auf den Marmorklippen (On the Marble Cliffs), from the novel by Ernst Jünger, music by Giorgio Battistelli (First performance: National Theatre, Mannheim, 2002); Open Air, music of Andrea Molino, commissioned by the Società Aquilana dei Concerti (First performance: L'Aquila, 2012); Here there is no why, multimedia music theater project by Andrea Molino (first performance at the Teatro Comunale, Bologna, 2014).
From 1985 to 2002 van Straten was the chairman of the Orchestra della Toscana. From 1997 to 2002 he was on the Board of Directors of the Biennale di Venezia and in that same period (1998-2002), he also served as president of AGIS, the Italian association for the performing arts. From 2002 to 2005 he was general director of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino. From 2005 to 2008 he managed Palazzo delle Esposizioni e Scuderie del Quirinale in Rome. From 2009 to 2012 he was on the board of directors of the RAI. Since 2015 he is the director of the Italian Cultural Institute in New York.
- Generazione (1987)
- Hai sbagliato foresta (1989)
- Ritmi per il nostro ballo (1992)
- Corruzione (1995)
- Il mio nome a memoria (2000)
- L'impegno spaesato (2002)
- La verità non serve a niente (2008)
- Storia d'amore in tempo di guerra (2014)
Honors and awards
- Il Ceppo Prize (1989)
- Castiglioncello Prize (1995)
- Grand Official Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (2000)
- Adei-Wizo Prize (2000)
- Procida-Isola di Arturo-Elsa Morante Prize (2000)
- Viareggio Prize (2000)
- Zerilli-Marimò Prize for Italian Fiction (2000)
- Grande Ufficiale Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana – VAN STRATEN Sig. Giorgio. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Currizione." The Economist 1996-05-18. Partially retrieved 2008-10-07.
- Margolin E: "My Name, A Living Memory." Forward 31 October 2003. Partially retrieved 2008-10-07.
- Ragusa O: "Giorgio van Straten: Il mio nome a memoria." World Literature 22 September 2000. Partially retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "NYU's Zerilli-Marimo Prize for Italian Fiction Awarded to Giorgio Van Straten for Il Mio Nome a Memoria." The Italian Voice 26 October 2000. Partially retrieved 2008-10-07.
- Giorgio van Straten at Festivalleteratura