Giovanni Battista Braccelli
He apprenticed under Giovanni Battista Paggi (il Paggi). He is best known for his book of prints: Bizzarie di Varie Figure, published in 1624 in Livorno, and dedicated to Don Pietro Medici. The depiction of a variety of human shapes aggregated from a variety of objects or landscapes appears prescient of modern cubist experiments. In this book, he engraves baroque experiments recalling Arcimboldo, engaging in a rarified set of conceits. Some of the figures are composed of boxes or raquets or curlicues.
Equally quizzical is his Alfabeto figurato which consists of alphabets constituted by acrobatic calligraphy of human forms. Added to this were some vedute of Rome and Roman artworks. He also published a collection of prints of conventional individuals engaged with playing musical instruments, entitled Figure Con Instrumenti Musicali E Boscarecci. A similar alphabet was once engraved by Giuseppe Maria Mitelli (Bologna 1634-1718).
- Bizzarie di varie figure/di Giouanbatista Braccelli, pittore fiorentin. Livorno: s.n., 1624. From the Rare Book and Special Collections Division at the Library of Congress
- British Museum. Giovanni Battista Bracelli (Biographical details). Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Soprani, Raffaello (1769). Carlo Giuseppe Ratti, ed. Delle vite de' pittori, scultori, ed architetti genovesi; Tomo secundo scritto da Carlo Giuseppe Ratti. Stamperia Casamara in Genoa, dalle Cinque Lampadi, con licenza de Superiori; Digitized by Googlebooks from Oxford University copy on Feb 2, 2007. pp. 198–199.
- Catalogue of Italian Works at Utah Museum of Fine Arts, curated by E. Frank Sanguinetti, and Ursula M Brinkman, article by MG. page 122.
- Ticozzi, Stefano (1830). Dizionario degli architetti, scultori, pittori, intagliatori in rame ed in pietra, coniatori di medaglie, musaicisti, niellatori, intarsiatori d’ogni etá e d’ogni nazione' (Volume 1). Gaetano Schiepatti; Digitized by Googlebooks, Jan 24, 2007. p. 214.
- Simona Sperindei, Nuovi documenti sul pittore ed acquafortista seicentesco Giovan Battista Braccelli, in Atti delle giornate di studi "Caravaggio e i suoi" (Monte Santa Maria Tiberina, 2016), a cura di Pierluigi Carofano Pisa, 2017, pp. 181-190. ISBN 978-88-6940-081-0
|This article about an Italian painter born in the 17th century is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|