Giovanni Battista Braccelli
Giovanni Battista Bracelli or Braccelli is the name of more than one engraver and painter active in central Italy in the Baroque period, between about 1616 and 1649.
According to Filippo Baldinucci, one Giovanni Battista Braccelli studied under Giovanni Battista Paggi ("il Paggi") and was active in Genova, where he worked in the churches of Santa Maria dei Servi and Santi Cosma e Damiano, and where he died in 1609 at the age of 25.: 419  According to Stefano Ticozzi, he was born in 1584, became the most valued assistant to Paggi, and died before his twenty-fifth birthday.: 208
A Florentine Giovan Batista Braccelli was a pupil and collaborator of Jacopo da Empoli. He published in 1624 in Livorno a Bizzarie di varie figure, a book of etchings with a dedication to Don Pietro de' Medici (who died in 1604).
Other mentions are of a Florentine Giovanni Battista Bracelli who was a pupil of Giulio Parigi, and another also known as "Brazzé" or "Il Bigio". It is not clear whether these were different people to those above.
A collection of engravings entitled Figure con instrumenti musicali e boscarecci, published in Rome after 1624, also bears the name Giovanni Battista Bracelli, as does a rare Alfabeto figurato published in Naples in 1632.
- ^ a b c d e Annamaria Negro Spina (2003). Bracelli, Giovanni Battista (fl 1616–50). Grove Art Online. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/gao/9781884446054.article.T010770. (subscription required).
- ^ British Museum. Giovanni Battista Bracelli (Biographical details). Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- ^ Filippo Baldinucci (1702). Notizie de' professori del disegno da Cimabue in qua (in Italian). Firenze: Stamperìa di Giuseppe Manni.
- ^ Stefano Ticozzi (1830). [https://books.google.com/books?id=0ownAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA208 Dizionario degli architetti, scultori, pittori, intagliatori in rame ed in pietra ... (volume 1, in Italian). Milano: Gaetano Schiepatti.
- ^ Bracèlli, Giovanni Battista (in Italian). Enclopedie online. Roma: Istituto dell'Enciclopedia Italiana. Accessed April 2014.
- ^ Bizzarie di varie figure/di Giovanbatista Braccelli, pittore fiorentin. Livorno: s.n., 1624 (copy in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division at the Library of Congress).
- Simona Sperindei, (2017). 'Nuovi documenti sul pittore ed acquafortista seicentesco Giovan Battista Braccelli'. In: Atti delle giornate di studi "Caravaggio e i suoi" (Monte Santa Maria Tiberina, 2016), a cura di Pierluigi Carofano Pisa. ISBN 9788869400810, pages 181–190.