Giovanni Battista Hodierna
Giovanni Battista Hodierna also known as Giovanni Battista Odierna (Ragusa (Sicily), April 13, 1597 also known as Giovanni Battista Odierna - Palma di Montechiaro, April 6, 1660)  was an Italian astronomer at the court of the Duke of Montechiaro. He compiled a catalog of some 40 entries, including at least 19 real and verifiable nebulous objects that might be confused with comets. The work anticipated Messier's catalogue, but had little impact. Messier seems not to have known of it.
Hodierna was born at Ragusa, (Sicily). He died at Palma di Montechiaro.
- "Giovanni Battista Hodierna". SEDS. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- Birthday for a star cluster: Charles Messier, Astronomy Now, January 2011, page 20.
- Fodera-Serio, G.; Indorato, L.; Nastasi, P. (February 1985), "Hodierna's Observations of Nebulae and his Cosmology", Journal for the History of Astronomy 16 (1): 1, Bibcode:1985JHA....16....1F
- Biography @ SEDS
- Hodierna's Deep sky Observations @ SEDS
- A biography
- Hodierna's (1644) Opuscoli del dottor Don Gio. Battista Hodierna - digital facsimile from the Linda Hall Library
|This article about an Italian astronomer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Sicily-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|