Giovanni Capriglione

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Giovanni S. Capriglione
Texas State Representative from District 98 (Tarrant County)
Assumed office
January 8, 2013
Preceded by Vicki Truitt
Personal details
Born (1973-03-08) March 8, 1973 (age 43)
Nationality American
Political party Republican
Spouse(s) Elisa Capriglione
Children Three children
Residence Southlake
Tarrant County, Texas
Alma mater

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

University of Santa Clara
Occupation Businessman
Religion Roman Catholic

Giovanni S. Capriglione (born March 8, 1973) is a Republican member of the Texas House of Representatives, having represented District 98 since 2013.[1]

Biography[edit]

Capriglione lives in Southlake in suburban Tarrant County.[2]

Capriglione studied for a Bachelor of Science in Physics at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, Massachusetts, and then a Master of Business Administration at Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California.[3]

He and his wife, Elisa, whom he married in 2000, have three children. His children attend Carroll ISD.[3]

Capriglione owns a private equity management company focusing on businesses located in Texas.[3] He has also worked as a vice president of a private equity firm and prior to that was employed by various computer engineering companies.[3]

Political career[edit]

In the 2012 Republican primary election, Capriglione, with 55.6 percent of the vote, unseated the incumbent Vicki Truitt of Keller in Tarrant County. Truitt, who had held the seat since 1999. Truitt polled the remaining 44.4 percent of the ballots cast.[4][5]

In 2012, Capriglione won the general election with 85.6 percent of the vote. The Libertarian Party candidate, Michael Goolsby, polled the remaining 14.4 percent.[4] Capriglione went unopposed in the 2014 Primary and General Elections.

In the 84th Legislature Giovanni Capriglione sits on three committees: the House Appropriations Committee, the Investment and Financial Services Committee and the Local & Consent Calendars Committee. Rep. Capriglione also serves as the Chairman of the Sub-Committee on State & Local Debt. In 2015, Rep. Capriglione was elected Secretary of the House Energy Caucus and is a member of the Innovation & Technology Caucus. In the 83rd Legislature, Rep. Capriglione served on two committees: Government Efficiency and Reform and International Trade and Intergovernmental Affairs.[3]

Capriglione is an advocate for greater accountability and transparency in state government. He announced in 2015 that he will seek further ways to make public information more readily available to the citizenry. In 2015 he passed HB 1295, a new law that dramatically improves public access to government contracts given to elected officials. His bill was described by the San Antonio Express News as the most important ethics bill of the 84th Legislative Session.[6] Rep. Capriglione also passed HB 483 authorizing the creation of the Texas Bullion Depository to insure that Texas has first rights to its gold.[7]

During his tenure, Rep. Capriglione has earned a wide variety of awards and honors including: Champion of Free Enterprise from the Texas Association of Business,[8] Consumer Protection Watchdog Hall of Fame,[9] a 100% Pro-Life Rating [10] and the People's Champion award from Texans For Accountable Government.[11]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Giovanni Capriglione for Texas State Representative District 98". Teaparty911.com. Retrieved March 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Texas House of Representatives District 98". The Texas Tribune. 2012. Retrieved March 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ a b c d e "Representative Giovanni Capriglione's Biography". Project Vote Smart. 2013. Retrieved April 2, 2013. 
  4. ^ a b "Texas House District 98". The Texas Tribune. 2012. Retrieved March 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ "Vicki Truitt". Texas Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved January 24, 2015. 
  6. ^ "Trade groups asking ethics panel to water down contract disclosure law". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved 2015-10-11. 
  7. ^ "A gold rush in Texas?". star-telegram. Retrieved 2015-10-11. 
  8. ^ "Texas Association of Business | Texas Association of Business - The Texas State Chamber". texasassociationofbusiness.org. Retrieved 2015-10-11. 
  9. ^ "WATCHDOG: New state laws will protect Texas consumers". interactives.dallasnews.com. Retrieved 2015-10-11. 
  10. ^ "Texas Right to Life Scores". Texas Right to Life Legislator Scores. Texas Right to Life. June 1, 2015. 
  11. ^ "Home". Texans for Accountable Government | Official TAG Website. Retrieved 2015-10-11. 

External links[edit]