Giovanni Francesco Guidi di Bagno
|Giovanni Francesco Guidi di Bagno|
October 4, 1578|
Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany
|Died||July 24, 1641
Rome, Papal States
|Other names||Gian Francesco Guidi di Bagno, Gianfrancesco Guidi di Bagno, Giovanni Francesco Bagni, Gianfrancesco de' Conti Guidi di Bagno|
|Citizenship||Grand Duchy of Tuscany|
|Education||Doctor utriusque juris|
|Parent(s)||Fabrizio Guidi di Bagno, Marquess of Montebello and Laura Colonna, Duchy of Zagarolo|
|Relatives||Brother of cardinal Nicola Guidi di Bagno, nephew of cardinal Girolamo Colonna|
|Papal Legate; Nuncio|
Giovanni Francesco Guidi di Bagno (1578 – 1641) (also known as Gian Francesco Guidi di Bagno, Gianfrancesco Guidi di Bagno, Giovanni Francesco Bagni or Gianfrancesco de' Conti Guidi di Bagno) was an Italian cardinal, brother of cardinal Nicola Guidi di Bagno and nephew of cardinal Girolamo Colonna.
Giovanni Francesco Guidi di Bagno studied law at the universities of Pisa and Bologne, literature and philosophy at the universities of Pisa and Florence and acquired a doctorate in both civil law and church law (Doctor utriusque juris).
In 1596, he went to Rome and was named papal prelate, then he accompanied Pope Clement VIII to Ferrara. In 1597, he was appointed Protonotary apostolic, member of the college of protonotarii apostolici de numero participantium then in 1600 referendary in the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura.
Vice-Legate in the Marches and in Fermo from 1601 to 1606, Giovanni Francesco Guidi di Bagno was Governor of Orvieto (1607), Fano (1608), Fermo (1610) and of the Campagne and Maritime Province (1611).
In 1614, he was elected titular archibishop of Patras and appointed vice-legate of Avignon. The same year he became referendary of the Tribunals of the Apostolic Signature of Justice and of Grace. He was elevated cardinal and reserved in pectore in 1627 and installed in 1631.
He died the 24 July 1641Santi Bonifacio e Alessio.(aged 62) in Rome. He was buried in the church
- The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church Florida International University Libraries
- The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church
- Giampiero Brunelli, Guidi di Bagno, Niccolò, Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani, vol. 61 (2004).
- Guidi di Bagno's correspondence as nuncio to Flanders has been calendared in the Analecta Vaticano-Belgica as Correspondance du nonce Giovanni-Francesco Guidi di Bagno, 1621-1627, edited by Bernard De Meester (2 vols., Brussels, 1938).
- Paul Oskar Kristeller (1993). Studies in Renaissance Thought and Letters. Ed. di Storia e Letteratura. pp. 615–. ISBN 978-88-8498-333-6.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Rieti
1635 – 1639
|Papal nuncio to Flanders
1621 – 1627