This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lodetti with A.C. Milan in 1968
|Full name||Giovanni Lodetti|
|Date of birth||10 August 1942|
|Place of birth||Caselle Lurani, Italy|
|Height||1.66 m (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Giovanni Lodetti (Italian pronunciation: [dʒoˈvanni loˈdetti]; born 10 August 1942) is an Italian former professional footballer who played as a midfielder. A hard-working player, he usually supported his more creative teammates defensively, excelling as a defensive midfielder due to his stamina and his ability to read the game. Despite his supporting role in midfield, he also possessed good technique and creativity, as well as an eye for goal, which also saw him participate in his teams attacking moves.
Lodetti is mostly remembered for his time as a defensive midfielder with Italian club Milan, with which he achieved great domestic and international success in the 60s alongside playmaker Gianni Rivera, winning two Serie A titles (the first during his debut season), a Coppa Italia, two European Cups, a Cup Winners' Cup, and an Intercontinental Cup. He later also played for Sampdoria, Foggia, and Novara, before retiring in 1978.
Lodetti also represented the Italian national side at the 1966 World Cup in England, where they were eliminated in the first round. He was also a member of the national squad in Italy's victorious UEFA Euro 1968 campaign on home soil. Although he was set to participate in the 1970 World Cup, in which Italy reached the final, he was dropped last minute due to an injury to Anastasi, which led manager Ferruccio Valcareggi to call up Roberto Boninsegna and Pierino Prati in his place. In total he represented his national team 17 times between 1964 and 1968, scoring two goals. He also represented the under-21 side in their victorious campaign at the 1963 Mediterranean games.
- Serie A: 1961–62, 1967–68
- Coppa Italia: 1966–67
- European Cup: 1962–63, 1968–69
- Cup Winners' Cup: 1967–68
- Intercontinental Cup: 1969
- A.C. Milan Hall of Fame
- "A.C. Milan Hall of Fame: Giovanni Lodetti". acmilan.com. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Storie di Calcio: Giovanni LODETTI una vita di corsa fra pallone e ingratitudine" (in Italian). Storie di Calcio. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Giovanni Paolo LODETTI" (in Italian). Magliarossonera.it. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Sebastiano Vernazza (30 April 2014). "Nazionale, Rivera, rivalità e gol Italia-Germania 4-3 è la partita del secolo" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- Profile at MagliaRossonera.it ‹See Tfd›(in Italian)
- Profile at EmozioneCalcio.it ‹See Tfd›(in Italian)
- International caps at FIGC.it ‹See Tfd›(in Italian)
|This biographical article related to association football in Italy, about a midfielder born in the 1940s, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|