Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Comune di Giovinazzo|
View of Giovinazzo from the sea.
|Metropolitan city||Bari (BA)|
|• Mayor||Tommaso Depalma|
|• Total||44.3 km2 (17.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||18 m (59 ft)|
(31 March 2018)
|• Density||460/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Thomas|
|Saint day||July 3 Madonna di Corsignano|
- The Co-cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta (Mary's Assumption), built in the Norman period 1150–1180, in characteristic Apulian Romanesque style featuring Eastern and Western elements, consecrated in 1283 under bishop Giovanni II; under bishop Paolo De Mercurio (1731–1752) it got a thorough Baroque remodeling.
- Ducal Palace/Castle (17th century)
- Two columns of the Via Traiana, which however did not pass through the city.
In the neighbourhood is Castel del Monte, one of the most famous castles in southern Italy.
- American actor John Turturro's father, Nicholas Turturro, immigrated to the United States from Giovinazzo in the first half of the 20th century.
- Raffaele Sollecito, falsely accused and incarcerated for the homicide of Meredith Kercher.
- Collenuccio da Pesaro, Historia del Regno di Napoli, Naples, 1557
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Giovinazzo.|
- Official website (in Italian)
|This Apulia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|