|Available in||32  languages|
|Headquarters||New York, USA |
Los Angeles, USA
|Founder(s)||Jace Cooke |
|Services||Searching, sharing, and browsing animated GIFs|
|Alexa rank||392 (Global, October 2019[update])|
|Native client(s) on||Android, iOS, Web browser|
Giphy, styled as GIPHY, is an American online database and search engine that allows users to search for and share short looping videos with no sound, that resemble animated GIF files.
Beginnings and early history
Giphy was founded by Alex Chung and Jace Cooke in February 2013. The idea for the business came when the pair was having breakfast, musing on the rising trend of purely visual communication.
When Chung and Cooke first launched Giphy, the website functioned solely as a search engine for GIFs.According to chung, Giphy attracted around a million users during its first week and the figure leveled out to 300,000.
Giphy features what its founders called as "conversational search" wherein contents are brought to users' conversations through a search box found in their messaging applications.
In August 2013, Giphy expanded beyond a search engine to allow users to post, embed and share GIFs on Facebook. Giphy was then recognized as a Top 100 Website of 2013, according to PC Magazine. Three months later Giphy integrated with Twitter to enable users to share GIFs by simply sharing a GIF's URL.
In January 2015, Giphy received another $17 million in a Series B funding round led by Lightspeed Venture Partners, with participation from General Catalyst and former investors. In addition, Giphy raised a large portion of the Series B round via Alphaworks’s equity crowdfunding platform.
In March 2015, Giphy acquired Nutmeg, a GIF messaging service, as one of the company's first major steps towards the mobile industry. This coincided with the launch of Facebook Messenger's own development platform, in which Giphy joined a few exclusive apps in its debut.
In August 2015, Giphy launched its second mobile app, GIPHY Cam, which allows users to create and share gifs on a social network.
In February 2016, Giphy raised $55 million in funding at a $300 million valuation.
In October 2016, Giphy announced several statistics; it has 100 million daily active users, it serves over 1 billion GIFs per day, and visitors watch more than 2 million hours of GIF content every day.
Chung announced in a February 2019 New York event that Giphy is exploring an advertising scheme that is distinguished from the Google model, which shows ads according to users' search histories. The idea is to embed advertising in private messages. Giphy is seeking to take advantage of this landscape since the GIG database has been integrated into most messaging services.
Giphy partners with brands to host GIFs that can be shared as marketing promotions via social media channels. The company also created artist profiles on the website, which allow GIFs to be attributed to the artist(s) who created them.
In September 2014, Giphy partnered with Line to host the inaugural sticker design competition. LINE and GIPHY enlisted a team of digital partners, including Tumblr, Fox ADHD, Frederator, Cut & Paste, New Museum, Eyebeam, Rhizome, The Webby Awards, Pratt, The Huffington Post and Dribbble to support the event.
- "GIPHY Developers". developers.giphy.com. Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- "giphy.com Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic - Alexa". www.alexa.com. Retrieved 2019-10-01.
- Alfonso III, Fernando. Meet GIPHY, a GIF lovers new best friend. Daily Dot. Feb 5, 2013.
- Franzen, Carl. New GIF Search Engine 'Giphy' Sees 30K Visitors In First Weekend. Talking Points Memo. Feb 4, 2013.
- Webbys x Grey Goose: Alex Chung of Giphy-Final. Vimeo May 2105.
- Winn, Riley (April 28, 2019). "The man, the GIF, the legend: An interview with Giphy founder Alex Chung". www.digitaltrends.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Bloom, David (November 17, 2018). "GIPHY Goes Long On Shortest-Form Video". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Gordon, Whitson. GIPHY embeds gifs on facebook, is mankind’s greatest achievement. Life Hacker. August 29, 2014.
- Kastrenakes, Jacob. Giphy brings animated GIFs to facebook. The Verge. August 29, 2013.
- Dreyfuss, Emily.. Alert! GIF’s now “work” on facebook thanks to Giphy. C Net. August 29, 2013.
- "Undiscovered: Apps - The Top 100 Websites of 2013 - PCMag.com". PCMAG. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Yeung, Ken. This could get messy: giphy brings animated gifs to your twitter timeline.. The Next Web. November 14, 2013.
- Crook, Jordan. https://techcrunch.com/2014/05/15/GIPHY-the-betaworks-backed-gif-search-engine-raising-2-5-million-series-a/ [GIPHY, The Betaworks-backed GIF search engine, is raising $2.5 Million in Series A]. Tech Crunch. May 15, 2014.
- Giphy. CrunchBase August 25, 2105.
- Crook, Jordan. After an approach from Facebook, GIPHY raises $17M at an $80M valuation. Tech Crunch Jan 29, 2015.
- Crook, Jordan. Giphy + Messenger, Giphys first mobile app, brings GIF search to facebook messenger. Tech Crunch March 25, 2015.
- Crook, Jordan. Giphy cam lets you create and share homemade GIFs. Tech Crunch August 20, 2105.
- UTC, Seth Fiegerman2016-02-16 21:41:26. "While other startups struggle, Giphy lands $55 million in a week". Mashable. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "State of the GIF: Giphy 2016". Giphy. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- Fingas, Jon (October 27, 2016). "Giphy's GIF service has over 100 million users every day". Engadget. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- Crook, Jordan. "With 200M daily users, Giphy will soon test sponsored GIFs | TechCrunch". Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- Sutton, Kelsey (February 12, 2019). "Giphy Wants Brands to Advertise in Private Messages". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Gap and Other Brands Are Already Using Facebook GIFs". AdWeek. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "GIPHY Gif Search Engine Rolls Out Private Artist Profiles To Help Organize, Monetize The Gif Community". TechCrunch. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- LINE & GIPHY fuel creativity to build a true global language. PR Newswire. Sep 25, 2014.
- Holmes, Mannie. Universal teams with Giphy on “Straight Outta Compton”. Variety August 13, 2105.
- Dove, Jackie. Giphy and LINE jointly launch a new sticker pack for more animated madness. The Next Web April 2.
- Heine, Christopher. Subway unleashes 73 GIFs for #januANY campaign. Ad Week Jan 14, 2014.
- Johnson, Lauren. Here’s why GIF’s are back in style and bigger than ever for Brands. Ad Week June 24, 2014.
- Angio, Joe et al. Digital Maverick 2015. Details May 7, 2015.
- Hess, Amanda; Bui, Quoctrung (29 December 2017). "What Love and Sadness Look Like in 5 Countries, According to Their Top GIFs". New York Times. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
|Wikidata has the property: