Gipsy Hill railway station
Gipsy Hill (prior to 2009 refurbishment works)
|Local authority||London Borough of Lambeth|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1 Dec 1856||opened|
|London transport portal|
Gipsy Hill railway station is in the London Borough of Lambeth in south London. It is situated on the Crystal Palace Line, 7 miles 77 chains (12.8 km) measured from London Victoria. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by Southern, and it is in Travelcard Zone 3.
The station is located at grid reference .
Ticket barriers were installed in February 2009.
Accidents and incidents
- On 14 February 1990, Class 455 electric multiple unit 5802 collided with a fallen tree obstructing the line. Unit 5820 then collided with 5802.
The typical off-peak service frequency is:
- 4tph (trains per hour) to London Victoria
- 4tph to London Bridge (2tph go northbound via Tulse Hill and 2tph go via Crystal Palace and Forest Hill)
- 2tph to Beckenham Junction via Crystal Palace
- 2tph to Sutton via West Croydon
After 7pm the 2tph services to Sutton(Surrey) are extended to:
- 1tph to Epsom
- 1tph to Epsom Downs
On Sunday this is reduced to:
- 2tph to London Victoria
- 2tph to Sutton
- 2tph to London Bridge via Tulse Hill
- 2tph terminating Crystal Palace
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
London Victoria to London Bridge
(via Crystal Palace)
London Bridge to Beckenham Junction (Monday to Saturday)
London Victoria to Sutton via Crystal Palace
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gipsy Hill railway station.|
Detail of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway's coat of arms, displayed above the entrance to Gipsy Hill station
A 1908 Railway Clearing House map of lines around the Gipsy Hill railway station, as well as surrounding lines
A 1908 Railway Clearing House map of lines around Gipsy Hill railway station.