Giraffe World Kitchen
|Genre||Restaurant and Cafe chain|
|Founder||Juliette Joffe, Russel Joffe, Andrew Jacobs|
Giraffe was owned by its founders, with additional financial backing from private shareholders, 3i investment group and chairman Luke Johnson. 3i invested £10 million in the company in 2006, in a deal that valued the chain at £24 million.
The company has 48 outlets across the UK, including fifteen in London. The company's first outlet in Scotland is in Aberdeen's shopping development, Union Square. A second opened at Siverburn shopping centre in Glasgow on 30 June 2014. In Autumn 2014, branches opened at Tesco stores in Bournemouth, Inverness and Poole.
It was announced in January 2016 that four restaurants will be closing or moving over to the Tesco Family Dining cafe brand. The four that closed were Silverburn, Newcastle, Poole and Swindon.
It was further announced in March 2016 another seven restaurants would close, including those in York, Martlesham, Bournemouth and Sutton. After selling Giraffe, Tesco announced the closure of all branches located within their stores.
- Junior awards: best restaurant commendation (spring 2011)
- Best family restaurant: Hardens (2011)
- Best in Social Media: caterer web awards (2010)
- Best corporate twitter: goldentwits.com (2011)
- Deal of the year (for tootises acquisition) (2010)
- R150: best family restaurant (2009)
- Peach network: best breakthrough brand (2007)
- Eat out magazine: top 50 foodservice operators (2007)
- Retailers Retailer awards: best emerging concept (2006)
- Observer: best family restaurant (2005)
- Hardens: best brunch (2004 & 2005)
- Retailers retailer: best newcomer (2003)
- Walsh, Dominic (6 October 2006). "3i to put £10m into restaurants". London: The Times. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Tesco acquires award-winning restaurant group Giraffe". Tesco PLC. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- "Tesco buys Giraffe restaurants". BBC. 13 March 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Tesco sells Giraffe restaurant chain and Turkish business". BBC News. 10 June 2016. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Glasgow Silverburn". Giraffe.net. Archived from the original on 8 July 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- Wingett, Mark (20 September 2016). "Giraffe trials new look". Big Hospitality. Retrieved 2 January 2017.