|Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation|
17 June 2013 – 26 May 2014
|Prime Minister||Manmohan Singh|
|Preceded by||Ajay Maken|
|Succeeded by||Venkaiah Naidu|
|Born||8 July 1946|
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Girija Vyas is an Indian politician, poet and author. She was a Member of the 15th Lok Sabha, the lower house of Parliament, from the Chittorgarh constituency and former president of National Commission for Women of India. Minister of |Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation from June 2013 in Indian Cabinet.
Girija Vyas was born on 8 July 1946 to Shri Krishna Sharma and Smt. Jamuna Devi Vyas.
After obtaining a Doctorate in Philosophy, she taught at the Mohanlal Sukhadia University of Udaipur and the University of Delaware. In 1985, as a candidate of the Indian National Congress party, she was elected as an M.L.A. from Udaipur, Rajasthan and served as a Minister in the Provincial Government of Rajasthan till 1990.
In 1991, she was elected to the Indian Parliament, representing Udaipur, Rajasthan in the Lok Sabha and was appointed as a Deputy Minister (Information and Broadcasting) in the Federal Government of India in the Narsimha Rao ministry.
- 1993 onwards: resident, All India Mahila Congress;
- 1993-96: Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas; Member, Standing Committee on House and External Affairs
- 1996: Re-elected to 11th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1996 onwards: Member, Committee on Raj Bhasha; Member, Committee on Empowerment of Women; Member, Standing Committee on Petroleum; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Home Affairs
- 1999: Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 1999-2000: Member, Committee on Petroleum and Chemicals
In February 2005, the Congress Party dominated U.P.A. Government of Manmohan Singh, nominated her to the position of the Chairperson of the Fifth National Commission for Women, a Constitutional & Statutory body, a position she was holding till 01/08/2011 .
She also elected as M.L.A. in Rajasthan in 2008. She has written eight books, three of which contain her poetry. Ehsaas Ke Par has her Urdu poems, Seep, Samundar Aur Moti has both her Hindi and Urdu poems while Nostalgia is enriched with English verses.
- M.L.A., Rajasthan
- Minister of State, Government of Rajasthan
- President, Rajasthan Provincial Congress Committee for five years.
- Member of Indian Parliament in the lower house or Lok Sabha several times
- Minister in the Government of India in the 1991s.
- Chairperson, Media Department, All India Congress Committee
- Special Invitee, Congress Working Committee, All India Congress Committee
- Was Chairperson, National Commission for Women
- Cabinet Minister of India (Urban development )
|Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation
17 June 2013 - present