Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Truth, Discipline & Excellence|
|Principal||Prof.(Dr.)Susanta Kumar Dutta|
|Director||Prof. G.C. Kakoti|
|Location||Guwahati, Assam, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 5 acres|
Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology (Assamese: গিৰিজানন্দ চৌধুৰী ব্যৱস্থাপনা আৰু প্ৰযুক্তি প্ৰতিষ্ঠান)(GIMT) is an institute offering degree level technical courses in the State of Assam in the non-government sector established by Shrimanta Shankar Academy (SSA) Society. The college was established with permission from the state government and approval from the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi and is affiliated to Gauhati University and also to Assam Science and Technology University.
B.Tech programmes in AEI, CSE, EE, ECE, ME are provisionally accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA), Govt. of India for the Academic years 2016-17 and 2017-18.
According to SSA Society,
|“||Observing the huge gap in need and facilities available in the remote north eastern part of the country, "Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology (GIMT)" was established in the year 2006 with a vision to produce competent, disciplined and quality engineers and administrators having the drive, skill and confidence to become the pioneers of tomorrow.||”|
- 1 Affiliation
- 2 Campus and geography
- 3 Academic programs
- 4 Departments and cells
- 5 Extracurricular
- 6 Some persons and faculties of GIMT
- 7 Sister institutes
- 8 References
- 9 External links
It is affiliated to Gauhati University, situated in Jalukbari and Assam Science and Technology University, Guwahati, Assam. All the undergraduate Bachelor of Engineering courses as well as Master of Business Administration and Master of Computer Application programmes are recognized by the AICTE. Later it was affiliated from ASTU . Recently it has got affiliation from NBA in select branches for 3 years
Campus and geography
GIMT is located at Hathkhowapara or Noapara, Azara, Guwahati on the National Highway No.37 5KM to the east of Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport and 16KM to the west of Guwahati Railway Station.
The Institute has a Girls' Hostel inside its premises. Although there are limited hostel facilities available for girls and boys near the college campus, but the outsider students stay in private hostels and rent houses of places such as Lankeshwar, Hathkhowapara, Godhuli Bazar, Dharapur, [Lankeshwar], Adabari Tiniali.
GIMT offers a four year Bachelor of Engineering course in 6 branches that include Computer Science and Engineering (60 seats), Electrical Engineering (60 seats), Electronics & Communication Engineering (120 seats), Mechanical Engineering (120 seats), Civil Engineering (60 seats) and Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering (60 seats). The admission to the program is done through Common Entrance Exam (CEE) and Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) organised by Dibrugarh University and Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) respectively.
GIMT offers postgraduate programs in Master of Engineering in Computer Science & Engineering (2 Years)(18 Seats), Master of Business Administration (2 years) (60 seats) with dual specializations in areas of Finance, Marketing, HR and Production and Master of Computer Application (3 years)(60 seats). The admission to these programs is done through the entrance examination conducted by Assam Science and Technology University and other equivalent National level entrance examinations.
Departments and cells
- Training and Placement Cell: GIMT has its own training and placement cell with Mr. Sourabh Majumdar Baruah as the Training and Placement Officer. Many companies have held campus interviews.
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell: This cell organizes entrepreneurship awareness programs for students (EAPS) in the institute campus.
There is a well equipped Gym, sports common rooms, an ATM, a hygenic canteen are inside the campus of the institute
Every year the students and administration of GIMT organize a festival cum competition called Euphuism, usually in the last week of January. Sports and cultural events are held during the festival.
The featured cultural events of the festival includes the "DJ Nite" and the "Prime Nite" where artists and bands perform to huge audiences. The other events include:
- Archytas - the tech war
- Cryptex - the Babbage's follower
- Cyber Mania - the cyber battleground
- Circuitronics - to design a circuit according to a problem statement
- Click - frame the world, the photography competition
- Photokraft - Photoshop competition
- Mobile Camera Phone Photography Contest (only for GIMTians)
- Quizzard - the generic quiz
- Clash - the knock down debating competition
- Incense - floral designing
- Splash in - design your fabric
- Glitters - Mr. & Miss GIMT personality contest
GIMT launched a youth awareness campaign during the annual fest EUPHUISM 2010, called Yuva - Redefining Dreams, with the tagline "All we need is Youth and a Dream..." Latest event being held: GIMT Euphuism'14.
GIMT published the first edition of its wall magazine Uttaran in mid-2009. The first edition was bilingual in Assamese and English. From the second edition it was published separately in Assamese and English.
Some persons and faculties of GIMT
- Bijoyananda Chowdhury - Secretary, SSA,
- Prof. S.K. Dutta, Principal of GIMT, Guwahati campus,
- Prof. T.K. Bhattacharjee, Ph.D. (IIT Kharagpur) Former Principal,
- Captain (Navy) I. P. Sharma, (Retd.), Dean (Administration),
- Prof. Abhijit Nath, Professor and HoD, Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Department,
- Prof. P.K. Brahma, Professor and Former HoD, Computer Science & Engineering Department and Information Technology Department,
- Prof. P.K. Bordaloi, Ph.D. (Manchester, UK), Professor and HoD, Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Department,
- Prof. P.K. Goswami, Ph.D. NTS, Professor and HoD, Electrical Engineering Department,
- Prof. Pratul Chandra Baruah, Dean Academic (GIMT),
- Prof. U.N. Misra, Ph.D., Professor and HoD, Mathematics Department,
- Prof. P.K. Dutta, Ph.D., Professor and HoD, Mechanical Engineering Department(GIMT),
- Prof. B.C. Bhuyan, Ph.D. (Kurukshetra University), Professor and HoD, Chemistry Department,
- Prof. M. R. Singha, Professor and HoD, MCA Department.
- Dr. Buljit Buragohain, Dean (Student Affairs),
Some other faculty are:
- Dr. B.D. Phukan (guest faculty for Electrical Engineering),
- Prof. U. Miri (guest faculty for Civil Engineering),
- Prof. D.K. Barua (guest faculty for Economics),
- Mr. D.C. Das (Assistant Superintendent, Mechanical Workshop).
- Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology, Tezpur - A project of Shrimanta Shankar Academy (SSA) and Government of Assam, under Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Mode. GIMT-Tezpur is the first institution established under Public-Private Partnership (PPP) mode in north eastern region of India.
- Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Pharmaceutical Science (GIPS) - the first self-financing private Pharmacy Institute in north eastern region offering Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Shrimanta Shankar Academy, Panbazar - affiliated to Assam Higher Secondary Education Council (AHSEC)
- Shrimanta Shankar Academy, Dispur - affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology.|