Girl You Know It's True
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Girl You Know It's True|
|Studio album by Milli Vanilli|
|Released||7 March 1989|
|Genre||Dance-pop, hip hop, new jack swing|
|Milli Vanilli chronology|
|Singles from Girl You Know It's True|
|Los Angeles Times|||
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
In 1989, several songs from Milli Vanilli's Europe-only release All or Nothing were repackaged and retitled Girl You Know It's True. The album was a major success in the United States of America, producing five top-five hits, of which three hit the top position of the Billboard Hot 100. On January 1990, Girl You Know It's True was certified 6x platinum by the RIAA after spending eight weeks atop the Billboard Top 200. Additionally, the album spent 41 weeks within the top 10 of the Billboard Top 200 and seventy-eight weeks within the charts overall. The album was also certified Diamond in Canada, denoting shipments of over a million units there. The success of the album earned the duo a Grammy Award for Best New Artist. Following the scandal that revealed that Rob Pilatus and Fab Morvan did not sing on their album exposed by Los Angeles Times journalist Chuck Philips, Arista Records dropped the act from its roster and deleted their album and its masters from their catalog, making it one of the largest-selling albums to ever be taken out of print. In addition, their Grammy was revoked, marking the first time a Grammy was ever rescinded from an artist.
In addition to including many of the tracks that originally appeared on All or Nothing in Europe, Girl You Know It's True featured several new tracks that did not make it onto the European album, including the hit single "Blame it on the Rain." In Europe, this tune instead appeared (albeit in an extended version) on the album All or Nothing - The U.S. Remix Album.
The track order on the U.S. release is out of sequence with the listing printed on its cover art, and several tracks are listed with the wrong time. A few of the writers' credits are inconsistent with what is listed in external sources. The decision to replace some of the tracks for the U.S. release was made by Arista Records president Clive Davis, and Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus are incorrectly credited with the vocals.
|Girl You Know It's True|
|1.||"Girl You Know It's True"||Ky Adeyemo, Rodney Halloway, Kevin Liles, Bill Pettaway Jr., Sean Spencer||4:13|
|2.||"Baby Don't Forget My Number"||Farian, B. Nail aka Brad Howell||3:59|
|3.||"More Than You'll Ever Know"||Ernesto Phillips||4:32|
|4.||"Blame It on the Rain"||Diane Warren||4:19|
|5.||"Take It as It Comes"||Climie Fisher, Dennis Morgan||3:41|
|6.||"It's Your Thing"||O'Kelly Isley, Ronald Isley, Rudolph Isley||3:51|
|7.||"Dreams to Remember"||Farian, Mary Applegate, Dietmar Kawohl||3:54|
|8.||"All or Nothing"||Farian, Nail, P.G. Wilder||3:17|
|9.||"(Girl) I'm Gonna Miss You"||Farian, Kawohl, Peter Bischoff Fallenstein||3:57|
|10.||"Girl You Know It's True" (N.Y. Subway Extended Mix)"||Ky Adeyemo, Rodney Halloway, Kevin Liles, Bill Pettaway Jr., Sean Spencer||6:27|
- Rob Pilatus, Fab Morvan (aka "The Brothers of Soul") - visual performance
Lead vocals:John Davis, Charles Shaw Joan Faulkner, Felicia Taylor, The Jackson Singers, John Davis, Charles Shaw,Charles Christopher, Herbert Gebhard, Bimey Oberreit, Peter Rishavy, Brad Howell - vocals Back ground singers: Linda rocco Jodie rocco
- P.G. Wilder, Pit Loew, Volker Barber - keyboards
- Frank Farian - Roland Jupiter-8 and synthesizer programming
- Peter Weihe, Jens Gad, Bruce Ingram - guitars
- Mel Collins - saxophone
- Curt Cress - drums, percussion
- Dino Solera, Felice Civitareale, Franz Weyerer - horns; arranged by Dino Solera
Charts and certifications
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard 200||1|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Diamond||1,000,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||6× Platinum||6,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- All music arranged by P.G. Wilder and Pit Loew
- Produced by Frank Farian for Far Music Productions
- Recorded and mixed by Tobias Freund, Bernd Berwanger, Norbert Janicke and Jens Seekamp at Far Studios
- "Girl You Know It's True - Milli Vanilli - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic".
- JOHNSON, CONNIE (4 June 1989). "MILLI VANILLI "Girl You Know It's True." Arista ** 1/2: POP STARS ***** Great Balls of Fire **** Knockin' On Heaven's Door *** Good Vibrations ** Maybe Baby * Ain't That a Shame : ROXETTE "Look Sharp!" EMI**" – via LA Times.
- Brackett, Nathan; Christian Hoard (2004). The Rolling Stone Album Guide. New York City, New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 543. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- Philips, Chuck (16 November 1990). "It's True: Milli Vanilli Didn't Sing : Pop music: The duo could be stripped of its Grammy after admitting it lip-synced the best-selling 'Girl You Know It's True.'". Los Angeles Times.
- Philips, Chuck (20 November 1990). "Milli Vanilli's Grammy Rescinded by Academy : Music: Organization revokes an award for the first time after revelation that the duo never sang on album". Los Angeles Times.
- Milli Vanilli- All Or Nothing _ The U.S. Remix Album (released in Germany) @Discogs.com Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Milli Vanilli Chart History (Canadian Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Milli Vanilli Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Canadian album certifications – Milli Vanilli – Girl You Know It's True". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – Milli Vanilli – Girl You Know It's True". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH