||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2008)|
Girlfriend magazine is an Australian teen girls magazine established in December 1988 by Futura Publications. It targets readers aged 12–17 years old with a mix of entertainment, fashion, beauty, advice and lifestyle articles.
Girlfriend gained media attention in 2005 when it was the first magazine to allow readers complete control of the magazine's content via the website in an initiative called "U Make The Mag". In 2006 Girlfriend celebrated its 18th birthday and won the Magazine Publisher's Awards for both Best Website and Editorial Initiative. Also in 2006 the magazine began to alert readers to its use of Photoshop throughout the magazine, as part of the "Self Respect" campaign. In 2007 Girlfriend became one of the first magazines to be completely printed on recycled paper.
Campaigns and initiatives
"U Make The Mag" allows the magazine's readers to vote for aspects of an edition of the magazine, such as its cover girl, colour and features, and happens once a year.
Girlfriend initiated a "Girlfriend Bans Bullying" campaign to prevent bullying in 2005. In each issue of the magazine, Girlfriend featured ways to deal with bullying, and stories of people that had had to deal with bullying in their lives. Girlfriend also teamed up with Supré to release a range of "Girlfriend Bans Bullying" singlets and dogtag necklaces, with slogans such as 'Peace Lover' and 'Lover, not a fighter'. All proceeds raised went to charity.
The Self Respect Campaign encourages readers to be themselves, not put themselves down, be happy with who they are, and generally lead a good and happy life. The magazine features 'Real Girls' in the magazine each month, who have had to deal with issues in their lives, and are intended to be an inspiration. There are quotes, recipes, reader profiles, exercise tips, and dogma on how to live a happy, successful life in the "Girlfriend Guru" section of the magazine, which is part of the self-respect campaign.
The magazine has started a "Girlfriend Goes Green" campaign, to inform readers of the effects of global warming and how they can help to slow it. The Girlfriend website also features an "Enviro-Room" which contains ideas on how to save water, electricity and resources.
Girlfriend Model Search
The Girlfriend Model Search a modelling competition. Now known as the Girlfriend Rimmel Model Search, it is an offshoot of Girlfriend and is currently sponsored by Rimmel London. In past years, the model search has been sponsored by Schwarzkopf, with selected 2007 national finalists even being appointed as the faces of "Schwarzkopf LIVE Colour" semi-permanent hair colorant products.
Starting in 1992, it has grown to be a national model search that has discoverrd some of the biggest names in Australian modelling today. Past winners such as Alyssa Sutherland, Catherine McNeil, Abbey Lee Kershaw, Sarah Stephens, Pania Rose and Ruby Rose Langenheim have become successes in the modelling industry.
|2014||Lilli Watt||Avril Campbell, Meg Thurston, Rhiannon Proper, Emily McDonald, Leah Bell|
|2013||Olivia Ludington||Leilani Mendez, Elizabeth Greenwood, Caitlin Brown, Caitlin Clarke, Clare Stunzner, Mikayla Schnabel, Selina Polyak, Hollyarabella Thomas, Rose Freemantle, Brook Crompton, Rebecca Bomgaars|
|2012||Grace Simmons||Elizabeth Love, Sharnee Gates, Georgana Coles, Jade Burton, Jessica Picton-Warlow, Molly Grace Nylander, Stephanie Field|
|2011||Chloe Glassie||Yasmeena Osman, Zara Dobbie-Smitham, Isabella Vick, Rebecca Dupain, Claudia Reed, Dominique Roussetos, Monique Jensen|
|2010||Jemma Baines||Tiffany Adcock, Bridgit Hollitt, Maddison Brown, Jacqui McGrath, Loren Harrison-Gorton|
|2009||Karri Pledger||Abbey O'Connell, Madison Borbely, Jessica Ridolfi, Kailyn Allen, Rebecca Downes|
|2008||Kate Budrodeen||Alex Klages, Karla Reid, Josie Vann, Karina White, Gemma Weaver|
|2007||Aimee and Morgan Hurst||Lutèce Gourluck, Lucy Fry, Meg Lindsay, Emma Power, Catriona Gray|
|2006||Sarah Stephens||Abbie, Danielle, Anastazia, Georgia, Casey|
|2005||Amy Fromm||Kristy-Lee, Lauren, Danielle, Emma, Maddie|
|2004||Abbey Lee Kershaw||Kathryn, Allegra Carpenter, Elle, Samantha Harris, Amelia Jennings|
|2003||Catherine McNeil||Amber Vucka, Ruby Rose Langenheim, Talisha King, Rikki Stowers, Tully Smyth|
|2002||Victoria Boston||Lauren Walshe, Michelle Reilly, Sarah Arnold, Pania Rose, Natalie Hodges|
|2001||Madelin Tomelty (Tomelty was among the finalists of 2000 and described as the winner of 2001)||Tamara Gitsham, Julia Olah, Kasia Grabowski, Angela McKay, Keita Van Ewyk|
|1999||Amelia Chandler, Kate McGinnity||Kali Dempster, Jemma Maio, Belinda Slater|
|1998||Tione Hawkins||Joanna Hughes, Lavina Hart, Aliescha Parks, Kristy Ryan, Ana Mikulic|
|1997*||Alyssa Sutherland (announced the winner in the January 1998 issue, but in the 1998 winner, Tione Hawkins', issue, Sutherland is referred to as the winner of the previous year.||Adrienne Nicholls, Tammy Knox, Korrin Reardon, Melissa Bain|
|1997||Jodie Hunter||Juliette Jasinski, Angelique Naude, Nicole Abbott, Rebecca Seidel, Ivona Cablewski|
|1996||Emma Scanlon||Lidija Bosnjak, Lisa Seiffert, Justine Davis, Kelsey Bryne, Agnes Buscu|
|1995||Tenille Petrelli||Suzi Kojic, Kathryn Heal, Solae Riley, Jessica De Ryk, Tiffany Power, Zrinka Lovrencic|
|1994||Wanita Wright (announced in January 1994 as the winner of 1994)||Olivia Treharne, Kate Millis, Jane Bourne, Samantha Froggatt (reported as 1993 finalists)|
|1992||Tina Cianci||Rhye Costello, Brydie Cavanagh, Kylie Geihlick, Chantelle Leahy|
|1991||Kristina Thornton (announced January 1991)||Karen James, Elizabeth Gray, Caroline Bailey, Lynda Gerritsen (reported as 1990 finalists)|
Girlfriend Fiction is a collaboration with Allen & Unwin. There are 19 novels in the series  with another to be released in October 2010. The novels are written by a variety of authors, who write from a teenage girl's point of view.
- My Life and Other Catastrophes - Rowena Mohr (February 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-286-1
- The Indigo Girls - Penni Russon (February 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-292-2
- She's With the Band - Georgia Clark (May 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-287-8
- Always Mackenzie - Kate Constable (May 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-293-9
- The (Not Quite) Perfect Boyfriend - Lili Wilkinson (August 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-346-2
- Step Up and Dance - Thalia Kalkipsakis (August 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-555-8
- Sweet Life - Rebecca Lim (November 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-531-2
- Cassie - Barry Jonsberg (November 2008, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-347-9
- Bookmark Days - Scot Gardner (January 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-578-7
- Winter of Grace - Kate Constable (January 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-620-3
- Something More - Mo Johnson (April 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-528-2
- Big Sky - Melaina Faranda (April 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-711-8
- Little Bird - Penni Russon (July 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-864-1
- What Supergirl Did Next - Thalia Kalkipsakis (July 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-867-2
- Fifteen Love - R. M. Corbet (October 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74237-015-6
- A Letter from Luisa - Rowena Mohr (October 2009, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74175-874-0
- Dear Swoosie - Kate Constable and Penni Russon (January 2010, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74237-198-6
- Thirteen Pearls - Melaina Faranda (April 2010, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74237-202-0
- The Boy/Friend - R. M. Corbet (June 2010, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 978-1-74237-286-0
- Three Things About Daisy Blue - Kate Gordon (October 2010, Allen & Unwin) ISBN 9781742372129
- ABC Circulation Results AdNews
- Marcus, Caroline (September 21, 2008). "Growing up: why it can really get you down". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Girlfriend". Catalogue. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "2013 Girlfriend Rimmel Model Search". Girlfriend Magazine. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "2010 Girlfriend Rimmel Model search". Girlfriend Magazine. 2010-04-27. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- . Another Model Resource. 2007 http://www.anothermodelresource.com/73/girlfriend-magazine-model-search/. Retrieved 2013-09-17. Missing or empty
- "Girlfriend Model Search: The Plait Thickens". Frockwriter. 2008-07-08. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Girlfriend Fiction". Allen & Unwin. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "About the series". Allen & Unwin. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Authors in real life". Allen & Unwin. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Girlfriend website
- Interview with Girlfriend Beauty Editor Sarah Tarca
- Interview with former Girlfriend Deputy Editor Erica Holburn
- Meet the Finalists of the 2011 Girlfriend Rimmel Model Search
- 2013 Girlfriend Rimmel Model Search
- Girlfriend Magazine Model Search
- Scwarzkopf LIVE Colour Semi-Permanent Hair Colourants