Girls & Boys (Good Charlotte song)
|"Girls & Boys"|
|Single by Good Charlotte|
|from the album The Young and the Hopeless|
|Released||May 9, 2003|
|Songwriter(s)||Benji Madden, Joel Madden|
|Good Charlotte singles chronology|
"Girls & Boys" is the third single taken from Good Charlotte's second studio album, The Young and the Hopeless, released on July 4, 2003. The theme of the song is that girls do not like boys and only use them to acquire money and material goods. The song peaked at number forty-six on the Billboard Hot 100. Outside the United States, "Girls and Boys" peaked within the top ten of the charts in the United Kingdom, where it became their second top ten hit following "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". The song eventually received a Silver certification from the British Phonographic Industry for selling at least 200,000 copies.
The music video for the song predominantly shows geriatric people dressed and acting like young people. The various members of the band are shown interacting with the older characters (for example playing video games and giving massages). At the end of the video, Benji Madden wakes up to find an old woman wearing one of his shirts and offering him a bowl of cereal.
The video for "Girls & Boys" was shot in the suburb of Ellerslie in Auckland, New Zealand. The longer version includes dialogue of a senior woman and the band, a parodying reference to Avril Lavigne's video "Complicated".
- "Girls & Boys"
- "Riot Girl" (Acoustic)
- "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (Acoustic)
- "The Young and the Hopeless" (Acoustic)
- "Girls & Boys" (Video)
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
sales+streaming figures based on certification alone
- Pauker, Lance (January 22, 2014). "49 Phenomenally Angsty Pop-Punk Songs From The 2000s You Forgot Existed". Thought Catalog. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- "Australian-charts.com – Good Charlotte – Girls & Boys". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Good Charlotte – Girls & Boys" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Musicline.de – Good Charlotte Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Top 50 Chart. Retrieved January 6, 2008.
- "Charts.nz – Good Charlotte – Girls & Boys". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Good Charlotte – Girls & Boys". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Good Charlotte – Girls & Boys". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Good Charlotte: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Good Charlotte Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "ChartsPlus YE2003 - UKChartsPlus" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "British single certifications – Good Charlotte – Girls and Boys". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Girls and Boys in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.