Girls Talk (Garbage song)
|Single by Garbage|
|B-side||"Time Will Destroy Everything"|
|Released||April 19, 2014|
California, United States
|Garbage singles chronology|
"Girls Talk" is a stand-alone single released by alternative rock band Garbage for Record Store Day 2014. Developed from a long gestating song idea, written by the band for inclusion on their 2007 greatest hits set Absolute Garbage, "Girls Talk" features Brody Dalle (ex-The Distillers/Spinnerette). Butch Vig described the original sessions for the song (then known as "Girls Talk Shit") as "pretty cool sounding, lots of fast pizzicato guitars and cellos". The newly recorded take of "Girls Talk" features Eric Avery on bass guitar and was engineered and mixed by Billy Bush.
"Girls Talk" is the third Record Store Day release issued by Garbage, following their previous years' cover version of "Because the Night" recorded with Screaming Females, and "Blood for Poppies""/"Battle In Me" in 2012. The cover art was developed by Ryan Corey at Smog Design from a photo music video director Sophie Muller had taken of graffiti four years prior. The "Girls Talk" single was pressed to 10" green vinyl, limited to 4,000 units, however in the United Kingdom black vinyls were also pressed. In the United States, "Girls Talk" is listed as a ‘RECORD STORE DAY FIRST’ release; at a later date, "Girls Talk" will be available at other retailers.
The vinyl release is backed with "Time Will Destroy Everything", a song first conceived during the sessions for 2012's Not Your Kind of People and used as an intro-tape on the band's accompanying world tour.
Commercial track listings
- 10" single (Record Store Day release) STNVOL-008
- "Girls Talk" – 3:34
- "Time Will Destroy Everything" – 4:44
|Release date||Territory||Record label||Format|
|April 19, 2014||United States, Canada,
United Kingdom & Europe
|May 6, 2014||Worldwide||STUNVOLUME||Digital download|
|UK Physical Singles (The Official Charts Company)||27|
|US Hot Singles Sales (Billboard)||10|
- Dome, Malcome (2007-08-01). Welcome Back... Garbage. UK: Classic Rock.
- "Girls Talk Shit". Butch Vig & Billy Bush at GearSlutz. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- "Brody Dalle reveals new single, 'Meet The Foetus'". Gigwise. 2014-02-11. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Screaming Females cover Patti Smith for Record Store Day New Brunswick band teams with Garbage for new single". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Watson, Rob (2012-03-15). "Record Store Day 2012". Garbagediscobox. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Watson, Rob. "Press Release: Battle In Me out May 7?". Garbagediscobox. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "GARBAGE's Record Store Day Release Features Album Art By SOPHIE MULLER". Black Dog Films. 2014-04-24. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Watson, Rob. "Worldwide, Girls Talk Shit/Time Will Destroy Everything, 10-inch vinyl for RSD 2014". Garbage Disco. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "Garbage photo comment". Garbage. 2014-04-20. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
Those of you in the UK and possibly Europe who received black vinyl instead of green vinyl, please know we are looking into this issue and are as confused about this turn of events as you are. We take this kind of thing VERY seriously and are determined to get to the bottom of it.
- "Record Store Day 2014 Special Releases; RSD First Release". Record Store Day. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Paul Cashmere (March 10, 2014). "Garbage To Release Brody Dalle Duet For Record Store Day". Noise 11. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- "Special Release; Garbage; Girls Talk". Record Store Day. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "Record Store Day 2014 Exclusive Products". RSD UK. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "Garbage - Girls Talk/Time Will Destroy Everything". Record Store Day Nederland. Archived from the original on 2014-04-16. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- "Garbage Girls Talk Digital Download - Stunvolume #STUNVOL 08DL". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Official Physical Singles Chart Top 100; 20 April 2014 - 26 April 2014". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Caulfield, Keith (2014-04-25). "Record Store Day Chart Recap: Vinyl Album Sales Reach Historic High". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2014-04-25.