Girls in the Sun
|Girls in the Sun|
|Directed by||Vasilis Georgiadis|
|Produced by||Klearhos Konitsiotis|
|Written by||Iakovos Kabanellis|
Girls in the Sun (Greek: Κοριτσια στον Ηλιο, translit. Koritsia ston ilio) is a 1968 Greek drama film directed by Vasilis Georgiadis. The film was selected as the Greek entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 42nd Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee. The film was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
A young English tourist called Annabel meets a Greek shepherd during her vacation on a Greek Island. On their first encounter in a field,the shepherd approaches Annabel wanting to give her some almonds but scared of his rustic and rough appearance she misunderstands his intentions and runs away.Soon, he is found in prison accused of the supposed rape of Annabel.She regrets overreacting and tries to persuade the authorities to release him. Gradually, they fall in love and after being released from prison he follows her to Athens but she must return back home and it seems that their innocent love doesn't have a future.
- Giannis Voglis as The Shepherd
- Anne Lonnberg as Annabel Stone
- Kostas Bakas as Police Officer
- Miranta Myrat as Mrs. Fragopoulou
- Vangelis Kazan as Hotel Receptionist
- Elpida Braoudaki as Annabel's Friend
- Vagelis Sakainas as Giorgos
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|1969 Golden Globe Awards||Best Foreign Language Film||Vasilis Georgiadis||Nominated|
|1968 Thessaloniki Film Festival||Best Film||Vasilis Georgiadis||Won|
|Best Music||Stavros Xarhakos||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Kostas Mpakas||Won|
- List of submissions to the 42nd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Greek submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Koritsia ston ilio (1968)". theiapolis.com. Retrieved 2011-11-24.[permanent dead link]
- "Koritsia ston ilio (1968)". rottentomatoes. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- "Girls in the Sun". tainiothiki.gr. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Κορίτσια στον ήλιο" (in Greek). entertainment.in.gr. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "awards 1968". Thessaloniki International Film Festival. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
|This article related to a Greek film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|