Girls with Guns (album)
|Girls with Guns|
|Studio album by Tommy Shaw|
|Tommy Shaw chronology|
|Singles from Girls With Guns|
The title track was a top 10 hit at rock radio, peaking at #6 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and reaching a high of #33 on the Hot 100. "Girls With Guns" was featured in a first season episode of Miami Vice called "Glades."
A second single, the ballad "Lonely School", was released in late 1984 and peaked at #60 on the Hot 100 in January 1985. The videos for both singles received premiere status and strong rotation at MTV, and the network aired a concert special featuring Shaw.
The Girls With Guns album charted on the Billboard 200 Albums chart for 25 weeks, peaking at #50.
All words & music by Tommy Shaw except as noted.
- "Girls with Guns" – 3:11
- "Come In and Explain" – 4:20
- "Lonely School" – 5:03
- "Heads Up" (Tommy Shaw, Eddie Wohlford, Kenny Loggins) – 4:42
- "Kiss Me Hello" – 5:37 [vinyl]; 7:47 [CD/cassette extended version]
- "Fading Away" – 4:03
- "Little Girl World" – 3:32
- "Outside in the Rain" – 4:32 [vinyl]; 5:59 [CD/cassette extended version]
- "Free to Love You" (Shaw, Wohlford) – 4:49
- "The Race Is On" (Shaw, Wohlford) – 5:27
- Tommy Shaw: Six and Twelve-string Electric guitars, Mandolin, Acoustic Guitar, Lead vocals
- Steve Holley: drums, percussion
- Brian Stanley: Bass Guitar
- Peter Wood: Piano, Electric Piano, Synthesizer
- Richie Cannata: Saxophone solo on "The Race Is On"
- Molly Duncan: Saxophone section on "The Race Is On"
- Carol Kenyon: Duet Vocal on "Outside in the Rain"
- Produced by Mike Stone for Mike Stone Ltd.
Drummer Steve Holley had played in Paul McCartney's band, Wings. He and bassist Brian Stanley would go on to become the rhythm section of Jules Shear's 1988 band project, Reckless Sleepers. Keyboard player Peter Wood played with Al Stewart and also served as the surrogate version of Rick Wright in the 1980 and 1981 performances of Pink Floyd's The Wall.