The Giro District is located within southeastern Ghazni Province in Afghanistan, 50 km South East of Ghazni. The district is a wide plain with scattered low mountains. More than 40 000 residents are estimated, according to 2002 year's data (100% Pashtun). The district center is Pana.
As the other districts in this area, it is seriously affected by the continuing drought. Harvests have been decreasing in recent years, and agriculture is the primary source of income.
The roads are in bad condition. The health and education services need a lot of improvement.
On 5 September 2016, 80 Taliban militants were killed and 100 others injured after hundreds of fighters launched a coordinated offensive to capture the district. Five security personnel also had been killed and eight others injured during the operation.
- Map of Settlements AIMS, May 2002
- "District Names". National Democratic Institute. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Afghanistan Election Data". National Democratic Institute. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "District Profile" (PDF). UNHCR. Retrieved 22 October 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "80 Taliban militants killed after attack on east Afghan province repelled". 7 September 2016.
|This Ghazni Province, Afghanistan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|