Giro di Padania
|Region||Po Valley, Northern Italy, Italy|
|English name||Tour of the Po Valley|
|Local name(s)||Giro di Padania, Monviso-Venezia — Il Padania|
|Competition||UCI Europe Tour|
|First winner||Ivan Basso (ITA)|
|Final winner||Vincenzo Nibali (ITA)|
The Giro di Padania was a multi-stage cycling race which forms part of the UCI Europe Tour. It was held at the beginning of September in Northern Italy, in the region known as the Po Valley or Padania.
The first edition, won by Ivan Basso, was held from 6 September until 10 September 2011. About 200 riders participated to the first Giro di Padania, with the national teams of Australia, Poland and Slovenia. This edition was heavily disrupted by activists protesting against the Lega Nord and the Berlusconi government austerity plans. Activists also claimed that the race was intended as political Propaganda for the Lega Nord political party. In the 2011 edition the leader's jersey was green (which is also the colour of Lega Nord), but the colour was changed to blue in 2012.
The race was cancelled in 2013 and has not been held since.
|2011||Ivan Basso (ITA)||Liquigas–Cannondale|
|2012||Vincenzo Nibali (ITA)||Liquigas–Cannondale|
- "2011 Giro di Padania – Results", Cycling News, 10-09-2011.
- Farrand, Stephen. "Giro di Padania route unveiled in Italy", Cycling News, 28-07-2011.
- (in Dutch) "Video: Italiaanse communisten houden wielrenners Giro di Padania tegen" NRC.nl, 7 september 2011
- (in English) "Controversy for Italy’s Po Valley Cycling Race" The World.org, 7 september 2011
- Ryan, Barry. "Protesters attempt to block Giro di Padania route", Cycling News, 06-09-2011.
- (Italian) Ghisalberti, Claudio "Giro di Padania: è sempre caos Schiaffi e insulti ai corridori", La Gazzetta dello Sport, 07-09-2011.
- "Monviso-Venezia, cancellata l'edizione 2013". spaziociclismo.it. Archived from the original on 2015-02-21.
|This cycling race-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|