Gisela Agnes of Anhalt-Köthen
|Gisela Agnes of Anhalt-Köthen|
|Princess consort of Anhalt-Dessau|
21 September 1722|
|Died||20 April 1751
|Spouse||Leopold II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau|
|Father||Leopold, Prince of Anhalt-Köthen|
|Mother||Frederica Henriette of Anhalt-Bernburg|
Gisela Agnes was the only surviving child of Prince Leopold of Anhalt-Köthen (1694–1728) from his first marriage to Frederica Henriette (1702–1723), daughter of Prince Charles Frederick of Anhalt-Bernburg.
When her father died without leaving a male heir, he was succeeded as Prince of Anhalt-Köthen by her uncle Augustus Louis of Anhalt-Köthen. However, Gisela Agnes claimed her allodial title and took the case to the Reichskammergericht. Prince John Augustus of Anhalt-Zerbst mediated and a compromise was reached. Gisela was compensated with a sum of 100000taler plus and annual pension until her marriage. She also received her father's collection of guns and coins and another 32000taler for the estates of Prosigk, Klepzig and Köthen.
She married on 25 May 1737 in Bernburg her cousin, Prince Leopold II Maximilian of Anhalt-Dessau (1700–1751). The marriage was described as very happy. The death of his wife hit Leopold II so hard that him, already in delicate health, died only eight months later. She was buried in the St. Mary's Church in Dessau.
From her marriage with Leopold II Maximilian, Gisela Agnes had the following children:
- Leopold III Frederick Francis (1740–1817), Prince of Anhalt-Dessau
- married in 1767 princess Henriette Louise of Brandenburg-Schwedt (1750-1811)
- Louise (1742–1743)
- Henriette Catherine Agnes (1744–1799)
- married in 1779 with Baron John Jost of Loën (1737-1803)
- married 1765 Prince Simon August of Lippe-Detmold (1727-1782)
- Casimire (1749–1778)
- married in 1769 the Prince Simon August of Lippe-Detmold (1727-1782), the widow of her sister Maria Leopoldine
- Albert Frederick (1750–1811)
- married in 1774 Countess Henriette of Lippe-Weissfeld (1753-1795)
References and sources
- Ferdinand Siebigk: Das Herzogthum Anhalt, Desbarats, 1867, p. 227 ff.
- Gerhard Heine: Geschichte des Landes Anhalt und seiner Fürsten, Heine, 1866, p. 186