|Attorney General of Kenya|
27 August 2011 – 13 February 2018
|Preceded by||Amos Wako|
|Succeeded by||Paul Kihara Kariuki|
Columbia University (LL.M)|
University of Nairobi (PhD)
Githu Muigai (born 31 January 1960) was the Attorney General of the Republic of Kenya. until February 13, 2018 when he resigned. He holds a bachelor's degree in Law degree from the University of Nairobi, a master's degree in International Law from Columbia University School of Law, and was awarded a doctoral degree in law in November 2002. Prior to becoming Attorney General Githu Muigai served in the defunct Constitution of Kenya Review Commission and at the United Nations as Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance.
2013 Kenya presidential election petition
When the first round of the presidential election took place on 4 March 2013, Uhuru Kenyatta was declared the president-elect of Kenya by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. Raila Odinga challenged this in the Supreme Court of Kenya.
He was allowed by the court to be Amicus curiae. In his presentation he told the court that the constitution is not clear on what “fresh elections” would entail. He further stated that that if court declare the voters register as having substantial defects as the petition is asking them to, it may mean that the legality of the elections for senators, governors and other elective posts may be questioned since they were elected using the same registers. Although he was meant to be a non-partisan friend of the court, some who watched his submission are of the opinion that he fronted a position that only benefited one candidate while disadvantaging the candidacy of another. The court dismissed the petition on 30 March 2013.
- "Short Bio: Githu Muigai" (PDF). institut-fuer-menschenrechte.de. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Capital News". Capitalfm.co.ke. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Githu: I'll transform State Law office". Standard Digital. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Politics and policy | Parliament to vet three nominees for top public offices". Business Daily. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Mohammed Muigai Advocates | The Chambers Global Guide 2011". Mohammedmuigai.com. Archived from the original on 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Kenya: Moi Presides At His Last Graduation Ceremony". AllAfrica, 2 November 2002.
- "Graduate Named Attorney General in Kenya". Columbia Law School Magazine. 1961-11-09. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance". Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- "Githu: Law vague on what ‘fresh polls’ means". Standard Media. 29 March 2013.