Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
|Alma mater||Goethe University|
Giulia Enders (born 1990 in Mannheim) is a German writer and scientist whose first book Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ, has sold more than two million copies in Germany and that was published in English, French (more than one million copies sold), Italian, Spanish, Arabic and other translations in 2015.
Enders is enrolled in the doctoral (PhD) programme in gastroenterology at Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany. In 2012, she won the first prize at the Science Slam in Freiburg, Berlin and Karlsruhe with her talk Darm mit Charme (Charming Bowels). This talk was also published on YouTube. Enders received the offer to write a book about this subject that has sat atop the German paperback charts shortly after the release in March 2014. The drawings for the book were made by her older sister Jill Enders. She appeared in the German talk-shows 3 nach 9 and Markus Lanz.
In her book, she explains the functions and the importance of the human gastrointestinal tract. She also criticises the excess of hygiene in society and its impact on the immune system (hygiene hypothesis).
She is currently working on her thesis about the topic Acinetobacter baumannii that can cause infected wounds, respiratory diseases and blood poisoning. She would like to become a gastroenterologist afterwards.
- Giulia Enders; Jill Enders (artwork) (2014), Darm mit Charme. Alles über ein unterschätztes Organ (paperback) (in German), Berlin: Ullstein, ISBN 978-3-550-08041-8 translated as Gut (2015) ISBN 9781771641494
- Audiobook: Shortened version read by Giulia Enders, 229 minutes, 3 CDs, Audio Media, München 2014, ISBN 978-3-86804-367-9.
Notes and references
- (in French) Quentin Girard, "Giulia Enders, son éloge de l'intestin nous rend plus intelligents", Le Temps, published on-line on Tuesday 3 November 2015 and modified on Wednesday 4 November 2015 (viewed on-line on 4 November 2015).
- Coburn, Jesse (19 June 2015). "A German Writer Translates a Puzzling Illness Into a Best-Selling Book". The New York Times.
- Barbieri, Annalisa (18 May 2015). "The truth about poo: we're doing it wrong". The Guardian. UK. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- Katja Gußmann: Schwestern mit Charme.. Retrieved 31 December 2014
- Darm sells Giulia Enders und ihr Überraschungserfolg, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 19 July 2014, page 9.
- Das verkannte Tabu-Organ, Review of Sophia Guttenberger. In: Spektrum der Wissenschaft, 16 May 2014.
- Pete Smith: Ein Schätzelchen, dieser Darm! Review in Ärzte Zeitung, 14 April 2014.
- Oltermann, Philip (7 May 2014). "Gut reaction: book celebrating digestive tract becomes German bestseller". The Guardian.
- Works by or about Giulia Enders in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Giulia Enders: Das Darmrohr - Darm mit Charme (in German) Science Slam Berlin 2012 (YouTube Video, 13 Minuten).
- The Agenda with Steve Paikin: Gut Reaction, with Giulia Enders 29 May 2015.
- May 2016 TED talk IN Budapest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNMQ_w7hXTA