Steingruber at the 2015 European Championships
March 24, 1994 |
Gossau, St. Gallen, Switzerland
|Height||1.60 m (5 ft 3 in)|
|Discipline||Women's artistic gymnastics|
|Club||TZ Fürstenland / TV Gossau, Magglingen|
|Head coach(es)||Zoltan Jordanov|
|Assistant coach(es)||Fabien Martin, Sznezsana Jordanov|
Giulia Steingruber (born 24 March 1994) is a Swiss artistic gymnast. She is the 2016 Olympic bronze medalist on vault and a European champion in all-around (2015), vault (2013, 2014, 2016) and floor (2016).
Steingruber also competed for Switzerland at the 2012 Summer Olympics. She is the first Swiss female gymnast to win the European all-around title and the first Swiss female gymnast ever to win an Olympic gymnastics medal of any color.
At the 2011 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships, Steingruber finished 16th in the all-around and 5th on vault.
Steingruber won the bronze medal on vault in the 2012 European Women's Artistic Gymnastics Championships.
Competing at the 2012 Summer Olympics as the only women's gymnast from Switzerland, Steingruber finished 14th in the women's individual all-around with a score of 56.148. She was a reserve for the vault final.
Steingruber competed at the City of Jesolo Trophy in March and placed 8th in the individual all-around, with a total score of 55.550. Later that month, she competed at the La Roche-sur-Yon World Cup event in France and placed first on the vault and uneven bars with scores of 13.433 and 13.600 respectively. She went on to win bronze in the vault final at the Doha World Cup, scoring a 15.225 on her first vault and a 14.100 on her second, for an average of 14.662.
At the 2013 European Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Moscow, she qualified first into the vault final and went on to take gold with an average of 14.750. She also qualified for the individual all-around and floor finals. In the all-around final, she tied for fourth with Romanian gymnast Diana Bulimar with a score of 57.065, while on floor she finished 6th with a score of 14.100.
At the 2014 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships, Steingruber qualified to the all-around final and placed 15th with a score of 55.132. She also tied for 5th place in the vault final with Great Britain's Claudia Fragapane, with a score of 14.716.
At the 2015 European Artistic Gymnastics Championships, Steingruber won the all-around title ahead of Maria Kharenkova of Russia and Ellie Downie of Great Britain, with a score of 57.873. However, she failed to defend her vault title, and was beaten by the Olympic vault medalist Maria Paseka; Steingruber won the silver medal with a score of 15.149. She also qualified to the uneven bars final and placed 6th with a score of 13.766. Steingruber qualified first to the floor final and ended up winning the bronze medal with a score of 14.466 behind silver medalist Claudia Fragapane of Great Britain and gold medalist Ksenia Afanasyeva of Russia. Steingruber's three medals made her the most decorated gymnast from these championships.
In June she competed at the 2015 European Games held in Baku, along with teammates Jessica Diacci and Caterina Barloggio. She won the silver medal in the all-around, with a score of 56.699. In addition, she won the gold medal on vault, with a total score of 14.999  and on floor, with a score of 14.266. She was also the bronze medalist on the balance beam, with a 13.700.
Later, she competed in the 2015 Glasgow World Championships. She qualified to the all around final (she finished 5th), floor, and vault finals. She injured her knee in the vault final (7th tied with Alexa Moreno) and withdrew from the floor final.
At the 2016 European Championships, Steingruber won gold medals on vault and floor.
At the 2016 Summer Olympics, where she was the sole female gymnast for Switzerland, Steingruber qualified 14th to the all-around with a score of 56.899, 3rd on vault with an average of 15.266, and 4th on floor with a score of 14.666.
On 11 August, Steingruber competed in the Individual All-Around Finals, where she finished in 10th with a score of 57.565. On 14 August, she won the bronze medal on vault with an average of 15.216, 0.037 behind silver medalist Maria Paseka of Russia (15.253). American Simone Biles won the vault title with an average of 15.966. Steingruber's bronze is the first ever Olympic medal of any color for Switzerland in women's gymnastics, and the first Olympic medal for a gymnast native to Switzerland since 1952 (a Chinese-born Li Donghua won a gold medal for Switzerland on the pommel horse in 1996). Steingruber finished 8th in the floor exercise with a score of 11.800 after sustaining two falls. Despite her finish, she is the first female Swiss gymnast to make the floor exercise final.
In late 2017, Steingruber attended the World Gymnastics Championships in Montreal.
During the Championships, Steingruber finished 3rd on the Vault, scoring an average of 14.466, behind defending world vault champion Maria Paseka of Russia (14.850) and Jade Carey of the USA (14.766). It was her first World Championship Medal.
Steingruber also competed in the All Around Competition. She finished in 7th position, with a total score of 53.666. Her score of 14.700 on Vault during the All Around was the highest on the apparatus during the competition.
|Doha World Cup||1st||8th||6th|
|Ghent World Cup||2nd||6th|
|Swiss Cup Zurich||2nd|
|Stuttgart World Cup||3rd||2nd||5th||5th||3rd|
|2013||La Roche sur Yon World Cup||1st||1st|
|Doha World Cup||3rd||4th|
|Swiss National Championships||1st||1st||1st||1st||1st|
|Arthur Gander Memorial||2nd|
|Swiss Cup Zurich||3rd|
|Stuttgart World Cup||4th|
|Osijek World Cup||2nd||5th||3rd||1st|
|Swiss National Championships||1st||1st||1st||2nd||1st|
|Arthur Gander Memorial||4th|
|Swiss Cup Zurich||4th|
|2015||Austrian Team Open||2nd||1st|
|Doha World Cup||1st||2nd||1st|
|Varna World Cup||3rd||3rd|
|2016||Stuttgart World Cup||3rd|
|Doha World Cup||1st||7th||1st|
|Olympic Test Event||6th||1st|
|Varna World Cup||1st||3rd||1st|
|2018||DTB Pokal Team Challenge||2nd||3rd||3rd||3rd||2nd|
|Koper Challenge Cup||1st||5th||2nd||1st|
|Apparatus||Name||Description||Difficulty||Added to Code of Points|
|Balance Beam||Steingruber||Gainer layout salto with full twist from end of beam||D||2011 World Championships|
- "Giulia Steingruber About". Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Giulia Steingruber". Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique. Archived from the original on 27 October 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "RESULTS: SENIORS APPARATUS FINALS" (PDF). 2012 European Women's Artistic Gymnastics Championships. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 17, 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "LONDON 2012 ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS,ALL AROUND WOMEN". Olympic.org. International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "LONDON 2012 ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS,VAULT WOMEN". Olympic.org. International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "ALL AROUND WORLD CUP WOMEN" (PDF). Gymnastics Results. 1 December 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "2013 City of Jesolo Trophy". Gymnastics Results. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Turner, Amanda (28 March 2013). "Five Take Titles at Doha World Challenge Cup". International Gymnast Magazine Online. International Gymnast Magazine. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- http://www.ueg.org/media/results/401/Results_WomSenC2.pdf[dead link]
- http://www.ueg.org/media/results/419/Summary_Results_WomSenC3.pdf[dead link]
- "All-Around Results" Archived October 4, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.. fedintgym.com. October 4, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Vault Results" Archived 2013-10-06 at the Wayback Machine.. fedintgym.com. October 5, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Floor Exercise Results" Archived October 29, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.. fedintgym.com. October 6, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "30th European Women's Artistic Gymnastics Team Championships Seniors Apparatus Final" (PDF). Gymnastics Results. UEG. 18 May 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- http://www.baku2015.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/women-all-around/index.html?intcmp=sr-bysport-gridview Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- http://www.baku2015.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/women-vault/index.html Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- http://www.baku2015.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/women-floor-exercise/index.html Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- http://www.baku2015.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/women-beam/index.html Retrieved June 29, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Giulia Steingruber.|
- Giulia Steingruber at Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique[dead link]
- Giulia Steingruber official website
|Awards and achievements|
|Swiss Sportswoman of the Year
|Flagbearer for Switzerland
Rio de Janeiro 2016