Mugshot of Giuseppe Lucchese.
September 2, 1959|
|Criminal charge||30 counts of murder|
|Criminal penalty||Life imprisonment|
|Criminal status||Imprisoned since 1990|
Giuseppe Lucchese (born September 2, 1959) known as Occhi di ghiaccio (Eyes of ice) is a member of the Sicilian Mafia from the Brancaccio neighbourhood in Palermo. He was one of the favourite hitmen of the Corleonesi, headed by Totò Riina, during the Second Mafia War in 1981-83.
Lucchese and Vincenzo Puccio murdered their boss Giuseppe "Pino" Greco in 1985. Puccio replaced Greco and Lucchese became his substitute. After the killing of Puccio on May 11, 1989, Lucchese became the capo-mandamento of the Ciaculli-Brancaccio mafia families.
Lucchese is suspected of being one of the accomplices in the murders of the mafiosi Stefano Bontade and Salvatore Inzerillo. He was arrested on April 1, 1990, and imprisoned for multiple murder. He received a life sentence for the murder of Carabinieri General Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa and the communist politician Pio La Torre both in 1982.
- (Italian) Ordinanza di custodia cautelare in carcere, Tribunale di Caltanissetta, Ufficio del giudice per le indagini preliminari, April 11, 1994
- (Italian) La lotta contro la mafia, website of the Carabinieri
- (Italian) Delitto Dalla Chiesa, Cassazione conferma ergastoli per boss Ganci e Lucchese, La Sicilia, May 12, 2006
- (Italian) Omicidio La Torre, condannati "cupola" e sicari, La Sicilia, April 28, 2007
- Stille, Alexander (1995). Excellent Cadavers. The Mafia and the Death of the First Italian Republic. New York: Vintage. ISBN 0-09-959491-9.