Give It Up (KC and the Sunshine Band song)
|"Give It Up"|
|Single by KC and the Sunshine Band|
|from the album All in a Night's Work and KC Ten|
|Length||4:13 (Album Version) |
4:00 (7" Version)
5:18 (12" John Luongo Disco Remix)
|Songwriter(s)||Harry Wayne Casey, Deborah Carter|
|Producer(s)||KC and the Sunshine Band|
|KC and the Sunshine Band singles chronology|
"Give It Up" is a song by American disco group KC and the Sunshine Band, although it was simply credited as KC in many countries, including the US. Following the backlash against many disco artists on the charts at the beginning of the 1980s, the song was a comeback hit for the act in the US. Epic Records refused to release it; however, the independent Meca Records label showed its support and the song peaked at No. 18 on the Billboard Hot 100 in March 1984. The song had been an even bigger hit in the UK several months earlier, where it had hit No. 1 for three weeks in August 1983. It went on to become the 18th best-selling single of the year in the UK. It was the last of the act's hits in the US and UK, and the most successful of its 10 UK hits.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||3|
|Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders)||2|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||23|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||6|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||4|
|South Africa (Springbok)||6|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||18|
|US Cash Box Top 100||17|
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||17|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||19|
|US (Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual)||127|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 1993 it was covered by Danish dance group Cut 'N' Move, whose version went to number one on the Australian ARIA Chart in February 1994. Cut 'N' Move covered the song again in 1997 for Dancemania Covers.
In popular culture
This section contains a list of miscellaneous information. (April 2018)
- The song has been turned into a sporting chant in England and Scotland. The song was played after each goal scored by Hearts in their 5–1 victory against Hibernian in the 2012 Scottish Cup Final.
- A version of the song is also sung by the Barmy Army for England batter Alastair Cook, with the words "Ali, Ali Cook" replacing "Baby, Give it up". For the final few overs of day four of Cook's final test match at The Oval (when he had just scored a farewell century), the song was sung continuously by the raucous crowd- led by Cook's friends in a hospitality box.
- The song is heard in Richmond Valentine's lair when Valentine activates the V-Day program in Kingsman: The Secret Service.
- The song is the Walk-on music of professional darts player Vincent van der Voort.
- The song played in the background of a television advertisement for Old Navy during the late 1990s.
- The song was performed by the Filipino band Channels on Eat Bulaga! and Oh No! It's Johnny in 1998.
- The song is chanted by Manchester United supporters in their appreciation of Nicky Butt.
- The song was featured in the last series of Play Away performed by Brian Cant, Floella Benjamin and Tony Robinson and arranged by Jonathan Cohen, broadcast on 7 January 1984. It was wiped by the BBC but has now been returned following a YouTube upload.
- Graff, Gary (1996). Musichound Rock: The Essential Album Guide. Visible Ink Press. ISBN 978-0-7876-1037-1.
the scope of KC's work into the 80s with post-disco singles such "Give It Up."
- Hoffmann, Frank (2006). American Popular Music: Rhythm & Blues, Rap, and Hip-hop. Infobase Publishing. p. 149. ISBN 978-0-8160-6980-4.
- "Chart history of "Give It Up"". The Official Charts Company. Chartstats.com. 1983. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 426. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Give It Up – KC & The Sunshine Band". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Archived from the original on 9 April 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013. Hoogste notering in de top 30 : 1
- "Offiziellecharts.de – KC & The Sunshine Band – Give It Up". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Chart Track: Week 29, 1983". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – KC & The Sunshine Band" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – KC & The Sunshine Band – Give It Up". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Swedishcharts.com – KC & The Sunshine Band – Give It Up". Singles Top 100.
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com \(Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- "CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending MARCH 24, 1984". Archived from the original on 30 September 2012. Retrieved 2016-05-25. . Cash Box magazine.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – 1983". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- Scaping, Peter, ed. (1984). "Top 100 singles: 1983". BPI Year Book 1984. British Phonographic Industry. pp. 42–43. ISBN 0-906154-04-9.
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.
- "Black Eyed Peas's Love You Long Time sample of KC & the Sunshine Band's Give It Up". WhoSampled. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Hearts give Hampden a high-five". Scottish Football Association. 19 May 2012. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- Review: Kingsman, The Secret Service