Give Me a Reason
|"Give Me a Reason"|
|Single by The Corrs|
|from the album In Blue|
|Released||12 March 2001|
|Recorded||2000; Dublin, Ireland|
|Songwriter(s)||Andrea Corr, Caroline Corr, Jim Corr, Sharon Corr|
|The Corrs singles chronology|
"Give Me a Reason" is a song by Irish pop rock group The Corrs. It was released on 12 March 2001 as the third single taken from their third studio album In Blue (2000). The song was written and produced by The Corrs. "Give Me a Reason" is a dance-pop song, and received favourable reviews from music critics. The song was a moderate success in Belgium and New Zealand (reaching the top-ten and top-twenty, respectively), while it reached the top-forty in the United Kingdom.
Background and release
"Give Me a Reason" was released as the third single from In Blue (2000) on 12 March 2001. The CD single included two versions of "Give Me a Reason" (the album version and the Cutfather & Joe Remix, which was used for the music video), a "Live Instrumental" version of "Paddy McCarthy" and a "Live" version of "Queen of Hollywood". "Give Me a Reason" was written and produced by The Corrs (Andrea, Caroline, Sharon and Jim). The dance-pop song, has Andrea on the centre speaker with the backing vocals on the other speakers. The song was included on their compilation album, "Best of The Corrs" (2001).
The official music video for the song features the members in a large building, doing different things. It also has a horse running past Andrea in a hallway. It is a much glossier video than most of their previous videos. It was banned in some countries due to the scene where Jim throws a chair out of a window, breaking it.
The song received favourable reviews from music critics. For Lydia Vanderloo of Barnes & Nobles, "Songs such as the defiant 'Give Me a Reason' use the subtle, graceful strains of these lovely instruments without throwing their finely calibrated pop songs out of whack." Kevin Oliver of PopMatters commented, " On the upbeat dance numbers like, 'Give Me a Reason', this bolsters the band's previously thin-sounding pop."
"Give Me a Reason" did not match the success of the previous singles, "Breathless" and "Irresistible". However, it managed to peak inside the top-forty in a few countries. The song reached its higher position on the Belgian charts, peaking at number nine on the Flanders chart, and number ten on the Wallonia chart. In the UK, the song reached number 27 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming their ninth top-forty single there. In New Zealand, the song managed to peak inside the top-twenty. It debuted at number 40 on the RIANZ chart week of 1 April 2001. It entered the top-twenty on 22 April 2001, and peaked at number 13, on 27 May 2001.
- Give Me A Reason (Cutfather & Joe remix) - 3:10
- Give Me A Reason (album) - 3:30
- Paddy McCarthy (live instrumental) - 4:16
- Queen of Hollywood (live) - 5:05
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||68|
|Belgium Singles Top 50 (Flanders)||9|
|Belgium Singles Top 50 (Wallonie)||10|
|Denmark Singles Chart||100|
|German Singles Chart||68|
|Netherlands Mega Single Top 100||81|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||13|
|Swiss Singles Chart||53|
|UK Singles Chart||27|
- New Zealand Charts - The Corrs - Give Me a Reason
- In Blue (inlay cover). The Corrs. Atlantic Records 143 Records. 2000. p. iTunes Digital Booklet.
- Oliver, Kevin. "The Corrs: In Blue | PopMatters". PopMatters. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Beamish, Dave (26 August 2002). "Review: Corrs, The - In Blue (HK - DVD)". DVDactive. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Irresistible - The Corrs". AllMusic. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "In Blye by Atlantic, The Corrs | Barnes & Noble". Barnes & Noble. 12 September 2000. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Belgium Charts (Flanders) - The Corrs - Give Me a Reason
- "Corrs | Artist | Official Charts". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- ARIA Top 100 Singles - Week Commencing 12 March 2001
- Belgium Charts (Wallonie) - The Corrs - Give Me a Reason
- Denmark Singles Charts - The Corrs - Give Me a Reason
- German Charts
- Dutch Charts - The Corrs - Give Me a Reason
- Swiss Charts - The Corrs - Give Me a Reason