Give Me an Inch
|"Give Me an Inch"|
|Single by Robert Palmer|
|from the album Pressure Drop|
|Robert Palmer singles chronology|
"Give Me an Inch" is a song by English vocalist Robert Palmer, released in 1976 as the lead single from his second studio album Pressure Drop (1975). The song was written by Palmer and produced by Steve Smith. "Give Me an Inch" reached No. 6 on the US Billboard Bubbling Under the Hot 100 chart and No. 88 on the Cash Box Top 100 Singles chart.
Upon release, Cash Box commented: "Fine, fine lyrics and a boiling production full of soaring strings, steady drums and sultry bass, flutes in the background. Palmer's voice personifies the storyline which intimates that he's ready for the love that's finally crossed his path." In a review of Pressure Drop, Billboard listed the song as one of the album's "best cuts". In a retrospective review of the album, David Jeffries of AllMusic commented: "...the soft songs are well written and convincing, especially the opening "Give Me an Inch"."
- 7" single
- "Give Me An Inch" - 3:17
- "Pressure Drop" - 5:28
|US Billboard Bubbling Under the Hot 100||6|
|US Cash Box Top 100 Singles||88|
- In 1978, British singer-songwriter Iain Matthews released his own version of the song on his ninth studio album Stealin' Home. Speaking of his version, Matthews told The Huffington Post in 2014: "I was a peripheral Robert fan. I knew him when I lived in England and had followed his musical development. I heard the song and wanted to interpret it." Matthews' version was released as a single and reached No. 67 on the US Billboard Hot 100 in April 1979.
- AllMusic Review by David Jeffries. "Pressure Drop - Robert Palmer | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- "Robert Palmer - Give Me An Inch Girl / Pressure Drop - Island - USA - IS 049". 45cat. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Billboard magazine - Bubbling Under the Hot 100 - 17 January 1976 - page 23
- Cash Box magazine - Cash Box Top 100 Singles - 13 March 1976 - page 4
- Cash Box magazine - Singles Reviews: Picks of the Week - January 24, 1976 - page 19
- "Billboard - Google Books". Books.google.co.uk. 1975-11-15. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Ragogna, Mike. "Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home and Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus! | HuffPost". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Billboard. "Ian Matthews Give Me An Inch Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-02-10.