Give Me the Night (album)
|Give Me The Night|
|Studio album by George Benson|
|Released||August 9, 1980|
|Genre||Soul, Funk, Jazz, Pop, R&B|
|George Benson chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Released in the summer of 1980, Give Me The Night was produced by Quincy Jones and released on Jones's start-up label Qwest Records, in conjunction with Warner Bros. Records. It charted at number one on both the Top Soul Albums and Jazz Albums Chart as well as number three on the Billboard Pop Albums charts.
The album's success was due mainly to its lead single, also titled "Give Me the Night," which rose all the way to the number one single on the Soul Singles chart. Another selection on the album, "Moody´s Mood," was recorded with R&B singer Patti Austin. Certified Platinum by the RIAA, Give Me The Night was the only album Quincy Jones ever produced for Benson.
This album won Benson three Grammy Awards in 1981; Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, while "Moody's Mood" received Best Jazz Vocal Performance, Male and "Off Broadway" received Best R&B Instrumental Performance.
Quincy Jones and Jerry Hey also won the Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement for the song "Dinorah, Dinorah."
- "Love X Love" 4:45
- "Off Broadway" 5:23
- "Moody's Mood" featuring Patti Austin (Eddie Jefferson, James Moody) 3:24
- "Give Me the Night" 5:01
- "What's On Your Mind" (Glen Ballard, Kerry Chater) 4:02
- "Dinorah, Dinorah" (Ivan Lins, Vitor Martins) 3:39
- "Love Dance" (Ivan Lins, Gilson Peranzzetta, Paul Williams) 3:18
- "Star of a Story (X)" 4:42
- "Midnight Love Affair" (David "Hawk" Wolinski) 3:31
- "Turn Out the Lamplight" 4:43
- George Benson - guitar, lead and backing vocals
- Herbie Hancock, Richard Tee - electric piano, synthesizer
- Clare Fischer - synthesizer, acoustic piano, electric piano
- Michael Boddicker - synthesizer
- Lee Ritenour - guitar
- Greg Phillinganes, George Duke - keyboards, synthesizer
- Louis Johnson, Abe Laboriel - bass guitar
- Carlos Vega, John Robinson - drums
- Paulinho Da Costa - percussion
- Jerry Hey - trumpet
- Kim Hutchcroft, Larry Williams - saxophone, flute
- Patti Austin - lead and backing vocals
- Jim Gilstrap, Diva Gray, Jocelyn Allen - backing vocals
- Patrice Rushen - backing vocals
- Bruce Swedien - recording engineer
|Billboard Pop Albums||3|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||1|
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums||1|
|Billboard Hot 100||US
|1980||"Give Me The Night"||4||1||2|
|"Love X Love"||61||9||-|
|1981||"Turn Out The Lamplight"||-||33||-|
- Ginell, Richard S.. George Benson: Give Me The Night > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 23. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- "American album certifications – George Benson – Give Me the Night". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "George Benson US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- "George Benson US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-27.