|Birth name||Giveon Dezmann Evans|
|Born||February 21, 1995|
Long Beach, California, U.S.
Giveon Dezmann Evans (//; born February 21, 1995), known mononymously as Giveon (stylized as GIVĒON), is an American R&B singer. He rose to prominence with his collaboration with Drake on their 2020 single, "Chicago Freestyle". In the same year, Giveon released the EPs, Take Time and When It's All Said and Done, the former was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best R&B Album, and the latter reaching the Top 10 on the US Top R&B Albums chart. He released "Heartbreak Anniversary", as the second single from Take Time, which reached the Top 40 in the US and was certified Platinum by RIAA. In 2021, Giveon was featured alongside Daniel Caesar on the Justin Bieber single "Peaches", which debuted at number one on the Billboard Global 200 and US Billboard Hot 100 charts. In 2022, he released his debut studio album Give or Take.
Giveon Dezmann Evans was born on February 21, 1995, in Los Angeles County (likely in the city of Long Beach, California). He and his two brothers grew up in a home with a single mother; he realized his passion for music at a young age, often singing at birthday parties. He credits his mother with pushing him to explore this early love for music and protecting him and his brothers from the pressures of gang culture and poverty. He attended Long Beach Polytechnic High School, and took a music education program at the Grammy Museum at age 18, where he fell in love with Frank Sinatra, whose bellowing voice was inspiring to the teenager. Giveon listened to R&B and soul and was also greatly inspired by Drake. Giveon fell in love with Barry White and Frank Sinatra music through a Recording Academy program where kids got to learn about music history. Giveon was inspired by 1960s jazz and wanted to modernize what he heard.
2018–2019: Career beginnings
Giveon self-released his debut single "Garden Kisses" in August 2018. Shortly after that he was discovered by Canadian record producer Sevn Thomas, who found him on a random playlist on SoundCloud, and later signed him to his record label Not So Fast and Epic Records. After signing, he started to perform his original songs at different live venues, including "Like I Want You", before recording them professionally. In November 2019, he released the single "Like I Want You" shortly before serving as an opening act for Snoh Aalegra on her Ugh, A Mini Tour Again of Europe and North America.
2020–present: "Chicago Freestyle" and first EPs
In 2019 Giveon toured with Snoh Aalegra where Giveon would often freestyle as he only had two songs out at the time. Giveon's manager sent his freestyle performance from Chicago to Drake. It led to their collaboration in "Chicago Freestyle" which is how the single got its name. In February 2020, Evans was featured on Drake's single "Chicago Freestyle", which was only uploaded to SoundCloud and YouTube at the time. In March 2020, Evans released his debut EP, Take Time, which was executive produced by Thomas. The EP topped Billboard's Heatseekers Albums chart, earning Giveon his first charting project. Take Time also received acclaim from contemporary music critics who called it "breathtaking" and "polished". In May 2020, "Chicago Freestyle" was released for streaming, along with Drake's mixtape Dark Lane Demo Tapes. The song peaked at number 14 on the Billboard Hot 100, earning Giveon his first Billboard-charting single. It also became a top 40 single in the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Switzerland. In September 2020, Giveon announced the release of his four-track second EP When It's All Said and Done, and shortly released its lead single "Stuck on You". After being released on October 2, 2020, the EP debuted at number 93 on the Billboard 200. With a rapid increase of mainstream attention, Giveon's singles "Stuck on You" and "Like I Want You" began entering a number of Billboard R&B charts in late 2020, with the latter later being certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America in December 2020. During that time, Giveon earned his first-ever Grammy Award nomination when Take Time was nominated for Best R&B Album at the 2021 Grammy Awards. He also made his debut television performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, performing "Stuck on You".
During the week of February 27, 2021, Giveon earned his second and third Billboard Hot 100 entries with "Heartbreak Anniversary" and "Like I Want You", entering the chart at numbers 74 and 95, respectively. On March 12, he released the compilation album, When It's All Said and Done... Take Time, a combination of his first two EPs, which included a new song titled "All to Me". Just a week later, he was featured on Justin Bieber's single "Peaches" from his album Justice.
Giveon is known for his baritone vocals. He is inspired by jazz music from the 1960s and 1970s. He cites Frank Sinatra, Frank Ocean, Drake, Adele, and Sampha as some of his biggest influences.
- Give or Take (2022)
- Timeless Tour (2021) – Giveon's first tour, consisting of fourteen different shows spread throughout North America. One show was outside of the United States, in Toronto, Canada where Drake made an appearance.
- Give or Take Tour (2022) – Began on August 22, 2022, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and ended on October 21, 2022, in Toronto, Canada. The tour included North-American locations and Canadian locations in Montreal and Toronto. After the presale, Giveon added more tour dates, extending the tour by six shows.
Awards and nominations
|Academy Awards||2023||Best Original Song||"Time"||Shortlisted|||
|American Music Awards||2022||Favorite Male R&B Artist||Giveon||Nominated|||
|BET Awards||2021||Best Male R&B/Pop Artist||Nominated|||
|Best New Artist||Won|
|Grammy Awards||2021||Best R&B Album||Take Time||Nominated|||
|2022||Album of the Year||Justice (as featured artist and songwriter)||Nominated|||
|Record of the Year||"Peaches" (with Justin Bieber & Daniel Caesar)||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Best R&B Performance||Nominated|
|Best Music Video||Nominated|
|Best R&B Song||"Heartbreak Anniversary"||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||2021||Best New Artist||Giveon||Nominated|||
|Best Collaboration||"Peaches" (with Justin Bieber & Daniel Caesar)||Nominated|
|Song of Summer||Nominated|||
|NAACP Image Awards||2021||Outstanding New Artist||Giveon||Nominated|||
|2022||Outstanding Male Artist||Giveon||Nominated|||
|Outstanding Album||When It's All Said and Done... Take Time||Nominated|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||2022||Best New R&B Artist||Giveon||Won|||
|R&B Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|Best New Pop Artist||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||"Peaches" (feat. Daniel Caesar and Giveon)||Nominated|
|Best Music Video||Nominated|
|R&B Song of the Year||"Heartbreak Anniversary"||Nominated|
- Penrose, Nerisha (October 2, 2020). "Giveon Will Always Be Real With You". Elle. ISSN 0888-0808. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- "Rising R&B Singer Giveon Makes Pain Sound Beautiful". BET. May 20, 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "Giveon Explains The Meaning Behind His Name, The Inspiration Of His Unique Sound & More, Mic Check" (video). youtube.com. BET Her. May 22, 2020.
- "Giveon Dezmann Evans, Born 02/21/1995 in California". California Birth Index. Retrieved August 27, 2020.
- Polo, Maxamillion (March 3, 2020). "Get to Know Giveon, a Haunting and Angelic Voice in R&B". Ones to Watch. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- Pastore, Alexandra (September 18, 2019). "Just Being Giveon". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- "R&B Singer Giveon Details His California Upbringing & Breaks Down His Latest Single "Like I Want You" [Interview + Premiere]". Okayplayer. 2020-02-07. Retrieved 2021-02-17.
- Brown, August (December 7, 2021). "With Drake and Justin Bieber co-signs, Long Beach's Giveon looks to spin his R&B into Grammy gold". Los Angeles Times.
- "R&B Singer Giveon Details His California Upbringing & Breaks Down His Latest Single "Like I Want You" [Interview + Premiere]". OkayPlayer. 7 February 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- Gage, Dewayne (2021-03-31). "How Giveon Patiently Worked His Way to R&B Stardom". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2022-11-28.
- Rashed, Ayesha (March 27, 2020). "GIVEON Drops Debut EP "Take Time"". Respect. ISSN 2150-8674. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Scarborough's Sevn Thomas Chats Working with Drake, Rihanna, Travis Scott and Discovering Giveon". 27 July 2021. Archived from the original on December 1, 2021.
- Giveon [@giveon] (November 21, 2019). "LIKE I WANT YOU is finally out now on all platforms! i appreciate you all for waiting ever so patiently. thanks to everyone involved in helping me put this song together. i hope you all fall in love with it! more music coming your way very soon" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Inman, DeMicia (September 24, 2019). "Snoh Aalegra Announces North American Tour With Baby Rose". Def Pen. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- Okon, Wongo (December 29, 2020). "Giveon's Heart Opened And Closed With The World In 2020". Uproxx. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
Giveon introduced himself to a small part of the world as the opening act on Snoh Aalegra's 2019 tour, 'Ugh, A Mini Tour Again.' Here he graced fans with eyebrow-raising performances of songs like "Garden Kisses" and "Like I Want You" and left his newfound supporters to declare him as their "crush" and request he sing at their wedding reception.
- Peters, Mitchell (March 1, 2020). "Drake's New Songs 'When to Say When' & 'Chicago Freestyle': See the Best Fan Reactions". Billboard. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "Heatseekers Albums Chart – October 17, 2020". Billboard. 2 January 2013. Retrieved October 13, 2020.
- Polo, Maxamillion (March 27, 2020). "Giveon Delivers a Breathtaking Moment of Reflection in 'TAKE TIME'". Ones to Watch. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- Smith, Madison (May 1, 2020). "ALBUM REVIEW: 'Take Time'". Niner Times. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- Zellner, Xander (May 12, 2020). "Drake Charts All 14 Songs From 'Dark Lane Demo Tapes' on Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- Rashed, Ayesha (October 1, 2020). "Giveon Announces New EP 'When It's All Said And Done' Available 10/2". Respect. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- Okon, Wongo (September 30, 2020). "Giveon's 'Stuck On You' Fronts His 'When It's All Said And Done' EP". Uproxx. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- DJ First Class (October 2, 2020). "Giveon drops off new EP 'When It's All Said And Done'". Revolt. Archived from the original on October 7, 2020. Retrieved October 2, 2020.
- Folk, Antwane (December 22, 2020). "Giveon's Single 'Like I Want You' Reaches Gold Status". Rated R&B. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- "Giveon". Grammy.com. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- King, Akili (December 10, 2020). "Singer-Songwriter Giveon On His Grammy Nomination and Taking Time for Self-Care". Vogue. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- Folk, Antwane (November 6, 2020). "Giveon Performs 'Stuck on You' on Jimmy Kimmel Live!". Rated R&B. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- Rossignol, Derrick (November 4, 2020). "Giveon Performs 'Stuck On You' On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'". Uproxx. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- @Giveon (March 4, 2021). "The anniversary for the release of Take Time is creeping up on us all.. I decided to combine both of my first two eps into one project: When It's All Said and Done... Take Time. I also added a new song to the project. 3/12.. pre-save at midnight ✨ ..." (Tweet). Retrieved March 11, 2021 – via Twitter.
- @Giveon (March 10, 2021). "tomorrow night ✨ ..." (Tweet). Retrieved March 11, 2021 – via Twitter.
- "7 Things We Learned While Justin Bieber Played His 16-Track New Album Over Zoom". British Vogue. Retrieved 19 March 2021.
- Bowenbank, Starr (September 16, 2022). "Giveon to Release New Single 'Time' Co-Written by Drake for 'Amsterdam' Movie Soundtrack". Billboard. Retrieved September 19, 2022.
- Ju, Shirley (April 9, 2020). "Giveon: Get To Know Baritone Singer-Songwriter". Flaunt. ISSN 1523-5726. Archived from the original on November 6, 2021. Retrieved December 18, 2020.
- "Giveon Explains His Quick Rise, Songwriting Approach and The Impact of a Drake Collaboration". Billboard. Retrieved 2021-02-17.
- Santiago, Elliot (September 14, 2021). "GIVĒON Announces Dates for His 2021 "Timeless Tour"". Hypebeast.
- Samuels, Keithan (2022-06-14). "Giveon Announces 'Give or Take Tour' Dates". Rated R&B. Retrieved 2022-11-16.
- Davis, Clayton (2022-12-21). "Oscar Shortlists: Rihanna and Lady Gaga Advance, 'RRR' Snubbed for VFX and Sound, 'Good Night Oppy' Shut Out of Doc Race". Variety. Retrieved 2023-01-25.
- Brathwaite, Lester; Lamphier, Jason (November 20, 2022). "American Music Awards 2022: See the complete list of winners". Entertainment Weekly.
- "BET Awards 2021: Full List Of Winners, Nominees And Honorees". BET. June 28, 2021.
- "2022 GRAMMYs Awards Show: Complete Nominations List". Grammy.com. The Recording Academy. November 23, 2021. Retrieved November 24, 2021.
- Atkinson, Katie (September 12, 2021). "2021 MTV VMAs Winners: Complete List". Billboard.
- "Vote for the MTV VMA Group of the Year and Song of the Summer starting tomorrow". Lakes Media Network. 2021-09-03. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- Martoccio, Angie (2021-08-11). "2021 MTV VMAs: Justin Bieber, Megan Thee Stallion, Olivia Rodrigo Lead Nominations". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- Davis, Clayton (February 2, 2021). "Viola Davis, Tyler Perry and Regina King Up for Entertainer of the Year at 2021 NAACP Image Awards". Variety. Retrieved March 1, 2021.
- Mekishana, Pierre (February 17, 2022). "NAACP Image Awards 2022: Nominees, Presenters and Performers | Entertainment Tonight". www.etonline.com. Retrieved 6 March 2022.
- "2022 iHeartRadio Music Awards: See The Full List Of Winners". iHeartRadio. Archived from the original on April 8, 2022. Retrieved April 10, 2022.