Gives You Hell
|"Gives You Hell"|
|Single by The All-American Rejects|
|from the album When the World Comes Down|
|Released||September 30, 2008|
|Studio||Skywalker Ranch Studios - California, United States|
|The All-American Rejects singles chronology|
Maxi single cover
7" vinyl cover
The song is The All-American Rejects' most successful song to date, receiving positive reviews and topping the Billboard's Mainstream Top 40 and Adult Top 40 charts as well as peaking at #4 on the Hot 100 chart. It was certified RIAA 4× Platinum for 4 million shipments.
- 1 Background and composition
- 2 Reception
- 3 Music video
- 4 Appearances in popular culture
- 5 Track listing
- 6 Charts, certifications and awards
- 7 Release history
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
- 10 External links
Background and composition
"Gives You Hell" was written by Nick Wheeler and Tyson Ritter in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on a secluded writing trip for the band's third studio album, and recorded at George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch studios in California.
Ritter stated the song "is about this asshole, it's a dude who will never know it's about him. It's kind of this tongue-in-cheek way of looking at someone you hate, whether it's your mom, for some reason, or it's your teacher at school, or it's your boss at work. It's just someone who makes you struggle, and it's giving them the finger."
In an interview with Vevo, the pair described how the song started out as "a cheesy whirl on a drum-loop", and how unsure they were on its sound that it nearly did not make the final track listing for When the World Comes Down. But after a phone conversation with music producer Jimmy Iovine, who praised the song's lyrics and instrumental mix, the band decided to add it to the album's track list.
On the composition of the track, Wheeler described the process, "You hear an acoustic guitar, like this wacky E6 chord fading in the beginning and that's all you hear. Yeah, that's all you hear until the second verse. Then a little acoustic guitar comes in – actually the acoustic guitar carries the whole thing until that last chorus. That's when like the big monster comes in. It's just the acoustic guitar in the chorus and you hear that little lead line right before the 3rd verse. It's little moments like that. If every part on the record is thought out and holds its place in the song, then you don't need more than just those special parts. It's not about taking a big guitar and layering the crap out of it. It's not about that. Every part, from the vocals to the guitar parts to the drum fills, really hold their place in the song."
In a further interview with MTV, Wheeler commented that "We wanted the backing vocalists to sound like a —'bunch of drunk assholes', so we had the crew and us drink a beer for every take and yelled the chorus into a microphone. We got so drunk we were over-thinking it!"
The song received favorable reviews from music critics. About.com rated the track 4 out of 5 stars and described it as a "soulful groove", saying "The lyrics are filled with a cleverly snarky attitude. The attitude of 'Dirty Little Secret' is here in full force, and you will likely find yourself singing along", while Digital Spy, who rated the track 3 out of 5 stars, described it as "Sum 41-style guitars and a cheery singalong outro, it certainly isn't innovative, but as many of their contemporaries have begun dabbling in politics and darker musical styles, there's a certain charm to the band's blissful ignorance of changing fashions."
In the United States, "Gives You Hell" entered the Billboard Hot 100 at position #69 and climbed steadily for seven weeks before breaking into the Top 10 at position #10, giving the band their third Top 10 hit on the chart, before eventually peaking at #4 on the Hot 100, making "Gives You Hell" The All-American Rejects' most successful single to date and their first Top 5 hit, remaining in the charts for 36 weeks before it was retired. It spent 14 consecutive weeks in the Top 10, including 5 weeks in the Top 5.
The song eventually topped the US Billboard Top 40 Mainstream chart in March 2009, and followed on to reach the top spot of the US Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks the following May, making "Gives You Hell" the band's first ever #1 on any music chart to date. Internationally, the track became The All-American Rejects' best-selling single, reaching the Top 5 in Canada and Australia and the Top 20 in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and New Zealand by early 2009.
In late 2009, Billboard announced that "Gives You Hell" was the most played song of that year on their Top 40 chart. The song also became the 42nd biggest selling rock song of the 21st century in the United Kingdom.
|2009||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music: Rock Track||Nominated|
|2010||APRA Awards||International Work of the Year|
The music video for "Gives You Hell" was directed by Marc Webb and shot in October 2008 in California and was released a month later on November 3. It revolves around two alter egos of lead singer and bassist Tyson Ritter - one as a traditional family man and the other as a lay-about nocturnal garage band singer (the band of which is made up of the other members of The All-American Rejects) - as neighbors annoying and pulling pranks on each other due to their different lifestyles and behaviors, while scenes of the band themselves performing the song as the garage band are overlapped through the video.
A second version was later released in January 2009, primarily featuring an extended version of the performance scene from the first.
In an interview with MTV about the video, Ritter said "The video basically pits one neighbor against another terrible neighbor, who lives on a completely opposite schedule. He's not on the grid - he's not on, like the song says, 'a 9-to-5 pace.' And this guy's living the cookie-cutter life, with his white picket fence, and his wife who brings him lemonade when he's washing the car, So it's kind of like the clash of those worlds; only at the end, there's kind of a twist, where the two worlds kind of flip-flop."
Appearances in popular culture
"Gives You Hell" was featured on the musical comedy-drama television show Glee in the episode "Hell-O". The song was sung by the character Rachel Berry played by Lea Michele. The Glee version reached the top of Irish Singles Chart.
The song is also featured in the video games Rock Band, Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero and Tap Tap Revenge 2. The song is also used as intro music for the home games of the Missouri Mavericks hockey team in Independence, Missouri.
In episode 3 of Betas a background person is singing "Gives You Hell" for karaoke. The show also stars Tyson Ritter as Dane who was busted earlier in the episode for drugs.
Charts, certifications and awards
|United States||September 30, 2008||CD single, digital download||DGC, Interscope|
|October 7, 2008||Mainstream radio|
|New Zealand||November 27, 2008||CD single, digital download||Universal Music Group|
|Australia||January 17, 2009|
|Canada||January 26, 2009||Interscope|
|United Kingdom||February 1, 2009||CD single, 7" vinyl||Polydor|
|Germany||April 3, 2009||Maxi single, 7" vinyl||Universal Music Group|
- Anitai, Tamar (November 14, 2008). "New Video: All-American Rejects, 'Gives You Hell'". Mtv. Retrieved September 10, 2016.
- Pauker, Lance (January 22, 2014). "49 Phenomenally Angsty Pop-Punk Songs From The 2000s You Forgot Existed". Thought Catalog. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Hidden, Chris (2009-02-09). "The All American Rejects - When the World Comes Down". Rock Sound. Archived from the original on 2013-12-28.
- "Gives You Hell by The All-American Rejects Songfacts". songfacts.com. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "The All-American Rejects - Inside The Hit Song: Gives You Hell". ARTISTdirect. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Lamb, Bill. "All-American Rejects - "Gives You Hell"". About. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "All-American Rejects: 'Gives You Hell'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Billboard October 18, 2008 issue; page 41
- "The 9 Best Songs About Heartbreak - Features". Rock Sound Magazine.
- "The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell acharts.us. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- 4 Music "Biggest Selling Rock Hits Of The 21st Century" television program. September 2011.
- "GFK Chart-Track". www.chart-track.co.uk.
- "Australian-charts.com – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "The All American Rejects Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "The All American Rejects Chart History (Canada CHR/Top 40)". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "The All American Rejects Chart History (Canada Hot AC)". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ - RADIO - TOP 100 and insert 200934 into search. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- "Lescharts.com – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – The All-American Rejects Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Billboard.com Archived August 14, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – The All-American Rejects" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell". Top 40 Singles.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200919 into search.
- "Swisscharts.com – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "The All American Rejects Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "The All American Rejects Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "The All American Rejects Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "The All American Rejects Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "ARIA Top 100 Singles 2009". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved March 7, 2018. (NB: When loaded, the link mistakenly has 2008 in the title in the browser.)
- "JAHRESHITPARADE SINGLES 2009". Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- "Canadian Hot 100 - Year-End 2009". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Top 100 Single-Jahrescharts". OFFIZIELLE DEUTSCHE CHARTS. 2009. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "Dutch Top 40 Year End". MegaCharts. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Hot 100 Songs - Year-End 2009". Billboard. 2009-12-19.
- "Adult Pop Songs - Year-End 2009". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Pop Songs - Year-End 2009". Billboard. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2009 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (The All-American Rejects; 'Gives You Hell')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Singles". RadioScope New Zealand. Archived from the original on January 7, 2010. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "British single certifications – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved March 7, 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type Gives You Hell in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 7, 2018. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Gives You Hell: The All-American Rejects: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Hung, Steffen (2008-11-24). "New Zealand charts portal". charts.org.nz. Archived from the original on 2011-09-06. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "All American Rejects - Single - Polydor Records". Polydor.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS - Gives You Hell - Diskografie". www.universal-music.de. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "CD DVD Games Software Shop CeDe.ch cdversand Musikversand Musik Filme DVDs Movies sacd portofrei - Schweiz" (in German). Cede.ch. Retrieved 2011-08-08.