|Born||November 25, 1981|
|Event(s)||Women's recurve ARW2|
|Club||Ankara Okçuluk İhtisas Spor Kulübü|
|Coached by||Gülüşen Güler Balcı|
|Achievements and titles|
|Updated on September 8, 2012.|
In 1992, at the age of eleven, she was paralyzed following a traffic accident. She completed her education with honors in Business Administration from Bilkent University in 2004. In the same year, she was invited to an archery competition where she got interested and decided to practice that sport. She practised in the basement garage of her apartment building, with the permission of the neighbors.
After two years of practice and competition experience in national tournaments, Gizem Girişmen had 3rd place (ARW2 Recurve Female) at 2006 EPC Archery European Championships held in the Czech Republic, which was her first international tournament.
She won the first place (FITA Round) at the 2007 IPC Archery World Championships in Cheongju, South Korea. In the same year, she won first place in the 2007 Czech Republic International Archery Tournament. In 2008, she became second in the European Disabled Archery Grand Prix held between July 12–18 in the United Kingdom.
She has been ranked Number One Archer in the World for Women's Ind. Recurve-W1/W2 since 2007.
Gizem Girişmen is also the Turkish record holder of 30-50-60-70 meters, FITA, 70 mt round and Olymp R Match for ARW2 female category.
She competed at the 2012 Summer Paralympics in the women's individual recurve W1/W2 event, where she lost to her Iranian opponent in the quarterfinals. She was also part of the Turkish team at the women's team recurve event, which came 5th losing to the team from Italy in the quarterfinals.
- Torch bearer of 2008 Summer Paralympics
- Athlete of the Month (August 2009) by IPC
- Flag bearer of Turkey at the 2012 Summer Paralympics
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2008-09-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/spor/digersporlar/9888672.asp?m=1 (in Turkish)
- "Sporcular / Okçuluk-Gizem Girişken" (in Turkish). GSB. Archived from the original on 2012-12-21. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- Özdil, Yılmaz (2012-08-29). "Eli ayağı tutan acizler ülkesinin... İnsanüstü yetenekli milli takımı". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- http://www.engellilersitesi.com/haber/700-spor-yolunuz-acik-olsun.html Archived 2010-02-17 at the Wayback Machine (in Turkish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gizem Girişmen.|