|Product type||Mineral water|
|Owner||Energy Brands privately owned subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company|
|Introduced||1996 (America), 2017 (India), 2018 (The Netherlands, Russia)|
|Markets||India, USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Middle East|
Glaceau Smartwater (stylized smartwater) is a brand of bottled mineral water owned by The Coca-Cola Company. Introduced in 1996 in the United States, by 2016 it was one of the top five brands of bottled water in that country with sales worth nearly $830 million in 2017.
Pack and variants
In India, Smartwater is available in a 750ml PET bottle priced at Rs. 50. While globally, the brand has several variants such as Glaceau Smartwater Sparkling Green Apple, Lemon, and Apple & Cherry. In India, only the Still water variant has been launched.
Marketing and sponsorship
In Germany and later also in The Netherlands, Smartwater was awarded the anti-award Goldener Windbeutel 2018 (Germany) and Gouden Windei 2018 (The Netherlands) ('Golden cream puff' or 'Golden windbag') by the consumer rights advocacy group Foodwatch Germany for "The most brazen lie in food advertising in 2018," for selling nothing but ordinary distilled water with minerals added afterwards for taste, but with no proven nutritional benefits whatsoever, for as much as seven times the price of regular water. The Coca-Cola Company repudiated the criticism and said that it followed all applicable food labeling regulations in a transparent manner, that Foodwatch had nominated Coca-Cola in order to attract attention to itself, and that "the success of the water with consumers proved that they liked the product for the taste."
- Esterl, Mike (2015-11-18). "Coke Launches Carbonated Smartwater In Expanded Sparkling Water Push". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- Team, Trefis. "Coca-Cola Eyes Growth In The Sparkling Bottled Water Market". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Glacéau Smartwater launches 'Hit the bottle' campaign". Talking Retail. 2016-01-07. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Bottled water companies: top selling bottled water brands U.S., 2017 | Statista". Statista. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- Team, Trefis. "Coca-Cola Life And Glaceau Smartwater To Be Launched In The U.K." Forbes. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- Mitra, Sounak (2017-11-03). "Coca-Cola to launch premium water brand Smartwater in India". Livemint. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "smartwater". www.coca-colasrbija.rs (in Serbian). Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- "Glaceau smartwater". The Coca-Cola Company. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Glaceau smartwater". The Coca-Cola Company. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- "Coca-Cola launches Glacéau Smartwater sports cap". PlasticsToday. 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Glacéau Smartwater adds Berry & Kiwi, Lemon and Green Apple flavours to its sparkling range". betterRetailing.com. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Coca-Cola launches three new Glacéau Smartwater flavours - FoodBev Media". www.foodbev.com. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Coca-Cola European Partners : News : Glacéau Smartwater announces NEW sparkling fruit flavours". Coca-Cola European Partners. 2017-06-08. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Glaceau Smartwater Launches Major Summer Campaign Fronted By Jennifer Aniston". B&T. 2016-12-06. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Why Coke Tapped Jennifer Aniston for New Smartwater Ads". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Coca-Cola's Glacéau Smartwater is the title sponsor of Star Plus' Ted Talks India Nayi Soch". www.bestmediaifo.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "'Smartwater' von Coca-Cola erhält den Goldenen Windbeutel 2018". www.foodwatch.org/de (in German). Retrieved 2018-12-04.
- "Werbelüge des Jahres: Wasser von Coca-Cola erhält Goldenen Windbeutel". Spiegel Online (in German). Retrieved 2018-12-04.