A glacial refugium (plural refugia) is a geographic region which made possible the survival of flora and fauna in times of ice ages and allowed a post-glacial re-colonization. Different types of glacial refugia can be distinguished namely nunatak-, peripheral and lowland refugia. Glacial refugia have been suggested as a major cause of the distributions of flora and fauna in both temperate and tropical latitudes. However, in spite of the continuing use of historical refugia to explain modern-day species distributions, especially in birds, doubt has been cast on the validity of such inferences, as much of the differentiation between populations observed today may have occurred before or after their restriction to refugia.
- Drought refuge
- Last Glacial Maximum refugia
- Refugium (population biology)
- Glacial survival hypothesis
- The encyclopedia of earth, http://www.eoearth.org/view/article/155685/
- Holderegger, R., Thiel-Egenter, C. (2009): A discussion of different types of glacial refugia used in mountain biogeography and phytogeography. Journal of Biogeography 36, 476-480.
- Petit, Rémy J.; Aguinagalde, Itziar; Beaulieu, Jacques-Louis de; Bittkau, Christiane; Brewer, Simon; Cheddadi, Rachid; Ennos, Richard; Fineschi, Silvia; Grivet, Delphine (2003-06-06). "Glacial Refugia: Hotspots But Not Melting Pots of Genetic Diversity". Science. 300 (5625): 1563–1565. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 12791991. doi:10.1126/science.1083264.
- PROVAN, J; BENNETT, K (2008-10-01). "Phylogeographic insights into cryptic glacial refugia". Trends in Ecology & Evolution. 23 (10): 564–571. ISSN 0169-5347. doi:10.1016/j.tree.2008.06.010.
- Rull, Valentí (2011-10-01). "Neotropical biodiversity: timing and potential drivers". Trends in Ecology & Evolution. 26 (10): 508–513. ISSN 0169-5347. PMID 21703715. doi:10.1016/j.tree.2011.05.011.
- Brumfield, Robb T. (2012-07-01). "Inferring the Origins of Lowland Neotropical Birds". The Auk. 129 (3): 367–376. ISSN 0004-8038. doi:10.1525/auk.2012.129.3.367.
- Bermingham, E.; Rohwer, S.; Freeman, S.; Wood, C. (1992-07-15). "Vicariance biogeography in the Pleistocene and speciation in North American wood warblers: a test of Mengel's model". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 89 (14): 6624–6628. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC . PMID 11607307.
- Klicka, John; Zink, Robert M. (1997-09-12). "The Importance of Recent Ice Ages in Speciation: A Failed Paradigm". Science. 277 (5332): 1666–1669. ISSN 0036-8075. doi:10.1126/science.277.5332.1666.
- Colinvaux, P. A.; De Oliveira, P. E.; Bush, M. B. (2000-01-01). "Amazonian and neotropical plant communities on glacial time-scales: The failure of the aridity and refuge hypotheses". Quaternary Science Reviews. 19 (1–5): 141–169. doi:10.1016/S0277-3791(99)00059-1.
|This ecology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|