Location within the United Kingdom
|Hotel chain||Hilton Hotels & Resorts|
|Address||1 William Street|
|Town or city||Glasgow|
|Number of rooms||319|
|Number of suites||2|
|Number of restaurants||2|
|Parking||Available, Parking is chargeable|
Hilton Glasgow is a 20-storey high-rise hotel in Glasgow, Scotland. It is one of Glasgow's five-star hotels. It is located eight miles from Glasgow International Airport and three blocks away from Glasgow City Centre. The hotel can be seen in the Glasgow Skyline. It is located in Anderston close to the M8 Motorway. It officially opened on November 30, 1992.
Background and construction
Construction of the current hotel began in 1990. It stands on a site within the Anderston Commercial Zone, an area cleared during the 1960s and designated by the then Glasgow Corporation for "comprehensive development". Originally the land was earmarked for the second phase of the Anderston Centre complex (early plans show that a public housing tower was planned for the spot where the hotel stands), however this was abandoned, and the site lay derelict until the late 1980s.
As well as being Hilton's first foray into Glasgow (it later took over the prestigious Stakis Grosvenor in the city's West End, and a third hotel was added to the portfolio in Finnieston), the hotel was notable for being the first high rise building over 20 storeys to be constructed in Glasgow since its tower block building boom of the 1960s and early 1970s. The hotel has the largest banqueting hall in the city.
The hotel is notable for having accommodated many celebrities, including the former United States President Bill Clinton. The local actor and comedian Billy Connolly is also a regular guest, who was born a few streets away in the (now demolished) tenements of Anderston.
When American boxer Mike Tyson had a match at nearby Hampden Park, he booked 150 rooms for himself and his entourage. Hollywood actor Robert Duvall also stayed in one of the hotel's luxury suites for several weeks during filming of the movie A Shot at Glory, which was shot in and around the city.
Hilton Glasgow has always been a host of many award ceremonies and 2014 appeared to be extremely eventful. Some of the notable events are:
- 2014 Commonwealth Games – They were held in Glasgow, Scotland, from 23 July to 3 August 2014 and was the largest multi-sport event ever in Scotland, including 4,950 athletes from 71 different nations and territories competing in 18 different sports. The Commonwealth Games were held in Scotland for the third time, the Games were notable for the successes of the Home Nations of the United Kingdom, with England, Wales and hosts Scotland achieving their largest ever gold medal hauls and overall medal hauls at a Commonwealth Games.
- 2014 Ryder Cup for the 2014 Scottish Golf Awards – It is one of the biggest sporting events in the world and it was the first time in more than 40 years that the tournament had been staged in Scotland.
- RoSPA Awards 2014 - The 2014 RoSPA Occupational Health and Safety Awards Ceremonies took place in Glasgow on September 17, 2014
- Scottish Business Insider Deals & Dealmakers Awards – The prizes reward excellence in corporate finance transactions - the bankers, venture capitalists, lawyers and accountants who initiate, structure and negotiate deals for growing organisations.
- Scottish VOWS Awards - The Scottish VOWS Awards recognise companies within the wedding industry in Scotland who provide excellence in customer service.
- ASB National Business Awards 2014 - The Awards celebrate and recognise the achievement of women working across all sectors, and recognises their individual and collective contribution to the continued commercial success in Scotland.
- Scottish Grocer Awards 2014 – The award categories designed to cover virtually every aspect of independent and convenience retailing, the Scottish Grocer Awards give the industry the opportunity to celebrate enterprise, commitment, innovation and success.
- Tolmie, Andrew (August 23, 2006). "Secrets of hotel lost property". The Daily Star.
- Victoria, Mitchell (May 20, 2000). "Heavyweight camp book 150 rooms at Hilton Hotel". The Daily Record.
- "XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow". www.bbc.com.
- "Scottish Golf Awards". Feb 28, 2014.
- "The Deals & Dealmakers Awards". Sep 3, 2014.
- "The Scottish VOWS Awards". Nov 24, 2014.
- "ASB National Business Awards 2014". Oct 3, 2014.
|This article about a Scottish building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a hotel or resort in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Glasgow, Scotland, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|