Glasgow bid for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics
|XXIII Olympic Winter Games|
|NOC||British Olympic Association|
|Previous Games hosted|
Applicant City phase
On 19 September 2011 it was announced that Glasgow would bid for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. Glasgow hosted the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The city cites the preparations for the Commonwealth Games as a step forward in being able to make a strong bid for the Youth Olympic Games. On 22 February 2012 the BOA agreed to put Glasgow forward as the United Kingdom's bidding city for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics.
In April 2012, Glasgow was awarded the 2015 IPC Swimming European Championships.
In July 2012 Glasgow 2018 established their bid board which is being led by BOA Chairman Colin Moynihan. It also comprises Shona Robison who is the Scottish minister for the Commonwealth Games as well as Gordon Matheson who is the leader of the Glasgow City Council. British Prime Minister David Cameron threw his support behind the bid later that month.
Candidate City phase
On 13 February 2013, the IOC selected Glasgow as one of the three candidate cities for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games.
In June 2013, the IOC Evaluation Commission released their report of the candidate cities and found that the Glasgow bid carried minimal risk.
Glasgow 2018 stated in June 2013, that if elected as host city, that young people would be involved with the Organizing Committee.
Glasgow was awarded the 2015 European Judo Championships on 27 June 2013, one week before the IOC votes to select the host city of the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics.
On 4 July 2013 Glasgow was eliminated in the first round of voting in the host city election. Glasgow received 13 votes in the first round. Buenos Aires went on to be elected as the host city of the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics in the final round of voting.
Previous bids from other British cities
Glasgow's bid for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics marked the first time a city in Scotland has made a bid for an Olympic Game.
London has made four successful bids for the Summer Olympic Games in the past. They were awarded the 1908, 1944, 1948 and 2012 Summer Olympics. The 1944 Games however were cancelled due to World War II, however London still hosted the games three years after the war ended.
- Glasgow Great Britain's Candidate For 2018 Youth Olympic Games
- Glasgow to Host 2015 IPC Swimming European Championships
- City Council Approves Glasgow 2018 Youth Games Bid
- Euro 2020: Ireland, Scotland and Wales eye joint bid as hosts
- Euro 2020 to be held across Europe
- Euro 2020 to take place across Europe - UEFA
- Glasgow establishes Bid Board to tilt for 2018 Youth Olympics
- British Prime Minister Backs Glasgow's Bid For 2018 Youth Olympic Games
- IOC shortlists three Candidate Cities for 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games
- Glasgow and Medellín pull ahead of Buenos Aires in race for 2018 Youth Olympics as IOC Evaluation Commission report published
- Glasgow 2018 pledges to allow young people to deliver the Youth Olympics
- Glasgow awarded 2015 European Judo Championships
- Buenos Aires elected as Host City for 2018 Youth Olympic Games