Glasnost Defense Foundation
|Фонд защиты гласности|
|Founder||Yegor Yakovlev, Vladimir Molchanov, Igor Golembiovsky, Mark Rozovsky, Elem Klimov, Aleksei German and others|
|Slogan||Glasnost is a tortoise crawling towards freedom of speech.|
Glasnost Defense Foundation is a non-profit organization with the stated goals of the defense of journalists, journalism, and freedom of expression in Russia. Its president is Alexei Simonov, a member of the Moscow Helsinki Group and the Presidential Council on Civil Society and Human Rights.
Glasnost Defense Foundation (GDF) was organized on June 6, 1991 by Yegor Yakovlev, Vladimir Molchanov, Igor Golembiovsky, Mark Rozovsky, Elem Klimov, Aleksei German and other prominent Russian filmmakers and journalists. It provides legal help to journalists in conflict situations, supports the families of dead journalists and records individual cases of journalist's rights violations in Russia in collaboration with Reporters Without Borders and Amnesty International.
The list of criminal cases compiled by the Glasnost Defense Foundation in 2006 represents 1,345 conflicts including 9 killed and 69 assaulted journalists. In 2005, the list of all recorded cases includes 6 murders, 63 assaults, 12 pogroms of editorial offices, 23 cases of censorship, 42 criminal prosecutions, 11 illegal layoffs, 47 arrests, 382 lawsuits, 233 cases of obstruction, 23 closings of editorial offices by authorities, 10 evictions, 28 confiscations of printed production, 23 cases of stopping broadcasting, 38 refusals to distribute or print production, 25 acts of intimidation, and 344 other violations of Russian journalist's rights .
It works in close collaboration with Reporters without Borders, Amnesty International, International PEN, Memorial society, and other human rights organizations. It also works with the Russian PEN Club and the journalism faculty of Moscow State University. The Foundation also receives financial support from the MacArthur Foundation, the National Endowment for Democracy, the Ford Foundation and the Embassy of the Netherlands in Moscow.
- "Партнеры фонда". www.gdf.ru. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "Simonov, Aleksei - Rights in Russia". www.rightsinrussia.org. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- GLASNOST DEFENSE FOUNDATION'S DIGEST, 2006 Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Summaries of assaults in 2006 (Russian) The report includes assaults unrelated to the journalists' professional duties.
- Summaries of murders in 2006 (Russian) The report includes murders unrelated to the journalists' professional duties.
- "Общая информация о ФЗГ" [General information about the GDF]. www.gdf.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "OSCE media representative deplores stigmatization of oldest media freedom NGO in Russia, Glasnost Defence Foundation | OSCE". www.osce.org. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "«Институт прав человека» включен в реестр нко-иностранных агентов" [Human Rights Institute added to 'foreign agent' NGO register]. www.ng.ru (in Russian). Nezavisimaya Gazeta. 2015-11-23. Retrieved 2016-06-11.