|Studio album by Billy Joel|
|Released||March 10, 1980|
|Billy Joel chronology|
|Singles from Glass Houses|
Glass Houses is the seventh studio album by American singer-songwriter Billy Joel, released on March 10, 1980. It features Joel's first song to peak at #1 on Billboard's Pop Singles chart, "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me." The album itself topped the Pop Albums chart for six weeks and was ranked number 4 on Billboard's 1980 year-end album chart. The album is the 41st best selling album of the 1980s, with sales of 7.1 million copies in the US alone. In 1981, Joel won a Grammy Award for "Best Male Rock Vocal Performance" for his work on Glass Houses. According to music critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine, the album featured "a harder-edged sound" compared to Joel's other work, in response to the punk and new wave movements.
|This section does not cite any sources. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Opening with the sound of glass shattering, Glass Houses has more of a hard rock feel than Joel's previous albums. The cover shows Joel poised to throw a rock through the two-story window of his real-life waterfront glass house in Cove Neck. On some versions, the back cover shows Billy looking through the hole that the rock made in the glass. This alludes to the adage that "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."
In 2004, the pop-culture journalist and rock critic Chuck Klosterman praised the album in an essay on Joel titled "Every Dog Must Have His Every Day, Every Drunk Must Have His Drink" from his book Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (the title of the essay refers to a line from the Glass Houses song "Don't Ask Me Why") In particular, Klosterman praised some of the more obscure tracks from the album including "All for Leyna", "I Don't Want to Be Alone", "Sleeping with the Television On", and "Close to The Borderline."
Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic wrote retrospectively: "It may not be punk -- then again, it may be his concept of punk -- but Glass Houses is the closest Joel ever got to a pure rock album." Rolling Stone critic Paul Nelson stated: "Billy Joel writes smooth and cunning melodies, and what many of his defenders say is true: his material's catchy. But then, so's the flu."
All songs written by Billy Joel.
- "You May Be Right" – 4:15
- "Sometimes a Fantasy" – 3:40
- "Don't Ask Me Why" – 2:59
- "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" – 2:57
- "All for Leyna" – 4:15
- "I Don't Want to Be Alone" – 3:57
- "Sleeping with the Television On" – 3:02
- "C'était Toi (You Were the One)" – 3:25
- "Close to the Borderline" – 3:47
- "Through the Long Night" – 2:43
- Billy Joel – acoustic piano, synthesizers, harmonica, electric pianos, accordion, vocals
- David Brown – acoustic & electric guitars (lead)
- Richie Cannata – saxophones, organs, flute
- Liberty DeVitto – drums & percussion
- Russell Javors – acoustic & electric guitars (rhythm)
- Doug Stegmeyer – bass guitar
- Phil Ramone - producer
- Jim Boyer - engineer
- Bradshaw Leigh - assistant engineer
- Ted Jensen - mastering
- Brian Ruggles - technician
- Steve Cohen - lighting
- Jim Houghton - photography
- Michele Slagter - production assistant
- Jeff Schock - product management
|1981||Glass Houses||Best Rock Vocal Performance - Male||Won|
|Album of the Year||Nominated|
American Music Awards
|1981||Glass Houses||Favorite Pop/Rock Album||Won|
|Billy Joel (performer)||Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist||Nominated|
Certifications and sales
|Australia (ARIA)||5× Platinum||350,000^|
|Canada (Music Canada)||5× Platinum||500,000^|
|Hong Kong (IFPI Hong Kong)||Gold||7,500*|
|Japan (Oricon Charts)||317,000|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||7× Platinum||7,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Cateforis, Theo (2011). Are We Not New Wave?: Modern Pop at the Turn of the 1980s. University of Michigan Press. p. 40. ISBN 0472034707.
- "Billboard.com - Year End Charts - Year-end Albums - The Billboard 200". billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- "Past Winners Search". grammy.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Billy Joel". Allmusic. Retrieved November 7, 2015.
- Klosterman, Chuck. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs Scribner, 2004.
- Thomas, Stephen. "Glass Houses - Billy Joel". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- "Billy Joel: Glass Houses: Music Reviews: Rolling Stone". 2008-02-28. Archived from the original on 2008-02-28. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- Cranna, Ian. "Billy Joel: Glass Houses". Smash Hits (April 3–16, 1980): 31.
- "GRAMMYs' Best Albums 1980–1989". grammy.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "8th American Music Awards". Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "austriancharts.at Billy Joel - Glass Houses". Hung Medien (in German). Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2011-11-01
- "dutchcharts.nl Billy Joel - Glass Houses". Hung Medien, dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- a-ビリー・ジョエル "- Yamachan Land (Archives of the Japanese record charts) - Albums Chart Daijiten - Billy Joel" Check
|url=value (help) (in Japanese). 2007-12-30. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "charts.org.nz - Billy Joel - Glass Houses". Hung Medien, charts.org.nz. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "norwegiancharts.com Billy Joel - Glass Houses". Hung Medien, norwegiancharts.com. VG-lista. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "swedishcharts.com Billy Joel - Glass Houses". Hung Medien, swedishcharts.com (in Swedish). Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Billy Joel - Glass Houses - hitparade.ch". Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Chart Stats - Billy Joel - Glass Houses". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "allmusic ((( Glass Houses > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Album Search: Billy Joel" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- * Zimbabwe. Kimberley, C. Zimbabwe: albums chart book. Harare: C. Kimberley, 2000
- "Austriancharts.st - Jahreshitparade 1980" (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1980". RPM. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Les Albums (CD) de 1980 par InfoDisc" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- 1980年アルバム年間ヒットチャート "Japanese Year-End Albums Chart 1980" Check
|url=value (help) (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "The Top 50 Albums of 1980". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "The Top 20 Albums of Vår 1980". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts". Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- "Top 100 Albums of 1981". RPM. 26 December 1981. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Top Pop Albums of 1981". billboard.biz. 1981-12-31. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1980 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian album certifications – Billy Joel – Glass Houses". Music Canada.
- "IFPIHK Gold Disc Award − 1983". IFPI Hong Kong.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "British album certifications – Billy Joel – Glass Houses". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Glass Houses in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Billy Joel – Glass Houses". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
The Wall by Pink Floyd
|Canadian RPM number-one album
May 10 - June 28, 1980
by The Rolling Stones
Against the Wind by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
|Billboard 200 number-one album
June 14 - July 25, 1980