|Birth name||Charles Phillip Ivory Penniman|
December 10, 1979 |
Watts, Los Angeles, California, United States
|Labels||Division Media Company, Cash Money, Suburban Noize, Hoo-Bangin', Republic|
|Associated acts||Akon, Tech N9ne, Mack 10, Big Scoob, Birdman, Lil Wayne, Bohemia (musician), Red Cafe, Swollen Members, The Bilz & Kashif|
Glasses Malone grew up in the Watts and Compton neighborhoods in Los Angeles County. His mother served a 25-year sentence in prison for selling narcotics, and Malone was a Crip gang member as a teenager.
Traditionally associated with The Black Wall Street Records despite the fact that most of their artists were affiliated with the Bloods, Malone signed with the record label, but later signed with Cash Money Records in 2011, turning down offers from many labels like Def Jam Records, Interscope Records, J Records and Atlantic Records. Glasses Malone was found by the same record executive who found The Game. Along with his signing, he was also given his own imprint, Blu Division. Malone debuted with mixtapes The Crack Mixtape (2003) and White Lightnin... Sticks (2005). White Lightnin... Sticks sold 50,000 copies and included the popular street single "Two Hunned".
Glasses Malone appeared in the music video for Tha Dogg Pound's single "Cali Iz Active" and also made a cameo appearance in the Tech N9ne video for "Like Yeah". He also appeared on the soundtrack to Madden 2007 with a song called "Right Now" which was produced by Scott Storch. On August 4, 2006 Glasses Malone appeared on MTV's You Hear It First.
Malone's first album, Beach Cruiser, was originally scheduled to come out on February 20, 2007. However, Malone changed record labels,signing a new deal with Cash Money Records and Hoo-Bangin' Records.The album's release was tentatively scheduled for April 2008. Two singles from the album debuted in 2008: "Certified" featuring Akon, and "Haterz" featuring Birdman and Lil Wayne. His album will now be released on August 29 2011, although it was leaked on the internet on August 24. In his album, Malone dedicated a song to American rapper T.I., "Call Me T.I."
In late 2009, Malone accompanied Tech N9ne and hip-hop supergroup Slaughterhouse on the K.O.D. Tour. Malone was featured on former Cash Money R&B singer TQ's 7th studio album Kind of Blue in 2010. Glasses Malone is also found on a specific version of Twiztid's 2012 album Abominationz.
- Studio albums
- Collaboration albums
- Money Music (with Mack 10) (2011)
- "The Trinity - My Ride (remix)" (with The Bilz and Kashif, Bohemia (musician), Drega, Nivla) (2013)
- The Crack Mixtape (2003)
- White Lighting (Sticks) (2005)
- DJ Skee & Dow Jones presents: The Electric Chair (2007)
- Fuck Glasses Malone (2008)
- DJ Greg Street & Glasses Malone presents 2010 (2009)
- Nightmare on Seven Street (2009)
- Drive-By Muzik (2010)
- The Dope Mixtape (2011)
- Glass House (2012)
|U.S. R&B||U.S. Rap|
|2007||"Certified" (featuring Akon)||85||24||Beach Cruiser|
|2008||"Haterz" (featuring Birdman & Lil Wayne)||—||—|
|2009||"Sun Come Up" (featuring Birdman, Rick Ross & T-Pain)||94||—|
|2010||"I Get Doe" (featuring The Cataracs)||—||—|
|2012||"That Good" (featuring Ty$ and C Ballin)||—||—||GlassHouse 2: Life Ain't Nuthin' But|
|2013||"Get Busy" (featuring Tyga)||—||—|
|2015||"Thuggin" (featuring Kendrick Lamar)||—||—|
- "Search: Penniman, Charles". California Birth Index. Retrieved April 17, 2011.
- "Glasses Malone biography". Empire Distribution. 2008. Retrieved April 15, 2011.
On his major label debut album, 29-year-old underground rap sensation Glasses Malone delivers a sonic opus that features the Watts, CA lyricist offering a conceptual gem.
- Cordor, Cyril (2008). "Glasses Malone > Biography". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Weinstein, Farrah (2006-08-04). "Glasses Malone". You Hear It First. MTV News. Archived from the original on 2007-02-20. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "Glasses Malone signs a 1.7 Million Dollar deal with Sony Urban Music Group and Big Ego Entertainment". Retrieved 2006-08-25.
- Underground Soldiers - MochaCityTV - Music Videos, Movie Trailers and Original Shows
- "GLASSES MALONE WRITING AND PRODUCING COP FLICK" - December 23, 2010 By : Latifah Muhammad, theboombox.com
- Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at the Wayback Machine (archived June 9, 2014)