Glen Allen, Virginia
|Glen Allen, Virginia|
Mountain Road in Glen Allen, Virginia, with historical marker in the foreground
Location of Glen Allen, Virginia
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||8.9 sq mi (22.9 km2)|
|• Land||8.8 sq mi (22.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||207 ft (63 m)|
|• Density||1,700/sq mi (650/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1494958|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.9 square miles (22.9 km²), of which 8.9 square miles (22.9 km²) is land and 0.11% is water.
Glen Allen is located north and west of the city of Richmond. As Richmond has expanded, Glen Allen has become a suburb of Richmond. A large area of northern and western Henrico County, from the Goochland County line north of Broad Street to the neighborhoods surrounding the Virginia Center Commons mall off U.S. Route 1, has a Glen Allen postal address (ZIP codes 23059 and 23060), however the actual Glen Allen CDP is a much smaller area, near the intersection of Warren Road and Mountain Road.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,562 people, 5,131 households, and 3,504 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,420.1 people per square mile (548.0/km²). There were 5,297 housing units at an average density of 598.8/sq mi (231.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 74.9% White, 19.5% African American, 0.4% Native American, 3.2% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.8% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.7% of the population.
There were 5,121 households out of which 33.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.0% were married couples living together, 10.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.7% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 24.8% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 37.1% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 8.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $55,205, and the median income for a family was $63,670. Males had a median income of $42,279 versus $31,073 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,719. About 1.0% of families and 2.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.8% of those under age 18 and 1.6% of those age 65 or over.
Source U.S. Census Bureau
- Ranked 1 in 2007 CNNMoney.com "Top 100 Places to Live"
- Ranked 1 in 2009 CNNMoney.com "Top 100 Places to Live"
- Gene Alley, former MLB shortstop
- Chris Durkin, soccer player
- R. C. Orlan, baseball player
- Brian Ownby, soccer player
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Glen Allen CDP, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Glen Allen, Va. (66) - Money Magazine
- Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: Glen Allen, VA - from MONEY Magazine
- Richmond/West End travel guide from Wikivoyage