Glen Baxter (cartoonist)
4 March 1944 |
Leeds, United Kingdom
|Education||Leeds College of Art|
Born in Leeds, Baxter was trained at the Leeds College of Art. His images and their corresponding captions employ art and language inspired by pulp fiction and adventure comics with intellectual jokes and references. His simple line-drawings often feature cowboys, gangsters, explorers and schoolchildren, who utter incongruous intellectual statements regarding art and philosophy.
In August 2014, Baxter was one of 200 public figures who were signatories to a letter to The Guardian expressing their hope that Scotland would vote to remain part of the United Kingdom in September's referendum on that issue.
In May 2016, the New York Review of Books will publish a collection of Baxter's work including popular selections from his career as well as new cartoons titled, Almost Completely Baxter: New and Selected Blurtings.
- Atlas (1979)
- 5 x 5 (1981) with Ian Breakwell, Ivor Cutler, Anthony Earnshaw, Jeff Nuttall
- The Impending Gleam (1981)
- His Life: The Years of Struggle (1983) (translated as Zijn leven, de jaren van strijd, 1986)
- Atlas, Le dernier terrain vague (1983)
- Jodpurs in the Quantocks (1986)
- L'heure du thé (1990)
- Welcome to the Weird World of Glen Baxter (1989)
- Ma vie: le jeunes années (1990)
- The Billiard Table Murders (1990)
- Glen Baxter Returns to Normal (1992) (translated as Retour à la normale, 1992)
- The Collected Blurtings of Baxter (1994)
- The Further Blurtings of Baxter (1994)
- The Wonder Book of Sex (1995) (translated as Wundersame Welt der Erotik, 1996, and Le livre de l'amour, 1997).
- Glen Baxter's Gourmet Guide (1997)
- Blizzards of Tweed (1999)
- Meurtres a la Table de Billiard (2000)
- Trundling Grunts (2002)
- The Unhinged World of Glen Baxter (2002)
- Loomings Over the Suet (2004)
- Le safari historico-gastronomique en Poitou-Charentes. Poitiers: Éditions Atlantique, 2010. ISBN 978-2-911320-41-5. In French and English. Preface by Alberto Manguel.
- Conceição Pereira (University of Lisbon), “Glen Baxter: simulacro e literalização”, 2005, Olhares e Escritas, Ensaios sobre Palavra e Imagem, Rui Carvalho Homem e Maria de Fátima Lambert, eds., Porto: Faculdade de Letras, Universidade do Porto, pp. 189-195.
- "Celebrities' open letter to Scotland – full text and list of signatories | Politics". theguardian.com. 2014-08-07. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- "Almost Completely Baxter". New York Review Books. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Official site
- Glen Baxter Gallery Website
- Comic House portfolio of Glen Baxter
- "King of the Surreal," The Observer, December 12, 2004
- "A Life in the Day: Glen Baxter", The Sunday Times, April 25, 2004
|This profile of a British cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|