Glen Cove (LIRR station)
June 10, 2010 view of Glen Cove Station from the same angle as the 1907 post card below.
|Location||Duck Pond Road & Pearsall Avenue
Glen Cove, NY
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||Mid Island Taxi|
Glen Cove station, (née Nassau), was built in 1895 at the behest of the "Gold Coast" millionaires such as the Pratts and J.P. Morgan who were looking for a more dignified station to disembark. This explains why this station was built roughly a mile from the Glen Street station. The picturesque station has been featured in several movies, including Sabrina, Hello Again, and several commercials. It can be found at the southwest corner of the Nassau Country Club, where maintenance crew members often enter and leave.
This station has the longest, straight waiting room bench on the LIRR - it is 35 feet long.
A little known secret is that behind the west waiting room wall there is a beautiful fireplace, which was once visible to customers in the waiting room.
No bus access is available for this station (unlike the nearby Glen Street station), however local taxicabs do stop there.
Platform and track configuration
|1||■ Oyster Bay Branch||toward New York (Glen Street)|
|2||■ Oyster Bay Branch||toward Oyster Bay (Locust Valley)|
This station has two high-level side platforms, each four cars long. The west platform, adjacent to Track 1, is generally used by southbound or New York City-bound trains. The east platform, adjacent to Track 2, is generally used by northbound or Oyster Bay-bound trains. The Oyster Bay Branch has two tracks at this location.
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Glen Cove: 1954 movie "Sabrina" starring Audrey Hepburn with her dog; David Archive: Dave Morrison (TrainsAreFun)
Media related to Glen Cove (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official LIRR station information page for Glen Cove
- Station timetable for Glen Cove
- June 2006 Photo (Unofficial LIRR History Website)
- Glen Cove (old Nassau) and Glen Street Stations (Sam Berliner III's Victorian Stations of the LIRR)
- Station from Duck Pond Road from Google Maps Street View