Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Perth, Western Australia
|Population||2,832 (2006 census)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Mundaring|
|State electorate(s)||Swan Hills|
Glen Forrest is a suburb within the Shire of Mundaring, south of John Forrest National Park, west of Mahogany Creek, east of Darlington, and north of the Helena River. Its northern boundary is determined by the Great Eastern Highway.
It has a number of significant conservation reserves including the Glen Forrest Super Block which is adjacent to Ryecroft Road ( the main connecting road to Darlington). It also has the only road that runs through to the Helena River valley from the suburbs between Mundaring Weir and the Helena Valley locations.
The major extractive industries were early forestry, and the Stathams brickworks, which had its own siding, just east of the railway yard. The brickworks was located on a patch of white clay, that is now a park and recreation area.
It has two commercial areas - one adjacent to, and just north of the former railway station site, and the other at the intersection of Hardey Road and Great Eastern Highway.
Like Darlington to the west, Glen Forrest had at its earliest times a winery on the valley edge down which Hardey Road passes.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Glen Forrest (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- Rome, E. G; HRRC (1907), Glen Hardey Vineyard, Smith's Mill, the property of Mr R. W. Hardey, retrieved 1 October 2012
- Leighton, Eric H (1997), Bricks in Glen Forrest : the story of "Statham" Brickworks, E. H. Leighton, retrieved 1 October 2012
- Stathams brickworks is sometimes confused with 'Stathams' - the Statham's Quarry in Gooseberry Hill
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glen Forrest, Western Australia.|
- Elliot, Ian (1983). Mundaring - A History of the Shire (2nd ed.). Mundaring: Mundaring Shire. ISBN 0-9592776-0-9.
- Spillman, Ken (2003). Life was meant to be here: community and local government in the Shire of Mundaring. Mundaring: Mundaring Shire. ISBN 0-9592776-3-3.
|This Perth location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|