Glen Oaks High School
|Glen Oaks High School|
|6650 Cedar Grove Dr.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70812
|School district||East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
Glen Oaks High School (abbreviated GOHS) is located in Merrydale, unincorporated East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, near the city of Baton Rouge. The school is a part of the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools.
The school opened in 1960.
All student must wear uniforms: 9th Grade: Red or Black, 10-12th Grade: Red or Black
GOHS panther marching band is the one of the largest student organizations on campus. The band and the Pantherettes have a long tradition of winning "Battle of the Bands" in South Louisiana and performing at parades and other special events in the region.
The GOHS panthers compete in LHSAA Class 3A athletics. The school is best known for its winning boys and girls basketball programs, as well as their track program. These programs have won multiple state championships and tournament titles since the 90s and track in the 2000s.
The following elementary schools feed into Glen Oaks :
- Glen Oaks Park
- Claiborne (partial)
- Sharon Hills (partial)
- Forest Heights Academy of Excellence
Howell Park & Brookstown The following middle schools feed into Glen Oaks:
- Glen Oaks
- Gabe Northern, former NFL defensive end & linebacker with the Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings
- Bob Didier, Former MLB player (Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox)
- John Darjean, Former MLB player New York Yankees (Farm) Actor played Jonathan Warble in the Movie For Love of The Game, The Punisher and All About The Benjamin's Humanitarian Awards received 2010 NAACP Humanitarian Award and 2012 Martin Luther King Jr. All State Give Back Award Author of Much Lies Beneath and Minds Stayed On Freedom Film Producer Much Lies Beneath The Movie (2017 Release Date)
- Heishma Northern, former Southern University defensive back and current head coach at Prairie View A&M University; brother of Gabe Northern
- Lester Earl, former LSU and University of Kansas men's basketball player
- Tony Cole, former University of Georgia men's basketball player
- Marcus Randall, former LSU quarterback and current NFL linebacker for the Green Bay Packers; Brother of former Glen Oaks & Southern University quarterback Eric Randall
- Damian Lavergne, former Louisiana Tech and Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle
- Tramon Douglas former Grambling State University & Tennessee Titans wide receiver, who broke Jerry Rice's SWAC record for receiving yards in a season in 2002
- Steven Jyles, former starting quarterback for the University of Louisiana-Monroe and currently of the Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Ryan Francis, former USC point guard
- Travis Terrel Hall, former USM Point Guard former Professional Basketball Player for Lithuania Point Guard former Professional Basketball Player for Lithuania.
- James Vernon, Former Southern University Wide Receiver All SWAC Wide Receiver 2004 and 2005
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Merrydale CDP, LA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 6, 2017.
- Home page. Glen Oaks High School. Retrieved on January 7, 2017. "6650 Cedar Grove Drive Baton Rouge, LA. 70812"
- "High-School-Boundary-Descriptions-15-16.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on January 6, 2017. Glen Oaks is on page 4 of 10.