Glendon and Rushton railway station
The former railway station at Glendon and Rushton
|Area||Borough of Kettering|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway
London Midland Region of British Railways
|8 May 1857||opened as Rushton|
|1 March 1896||renamed Glendon and Rushton|
|4 January 1960||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Glendon and Rushton railway station is a former railway station in Rushton, Northamptonshire. Originally known as Rushton it was opened in 1857 by the Midland Railway on what is now the Midland Main Line.
Plans had been made earlier in 1847 for a line from Leicester to Bedford, but had lapsed. However the Midland, running to Rugby at that time and dependent on the LNWR for its path into London, was looking for an alternative. It revived its plans for Bedford to go forward to Hitchin to join the Great Northern Railway
While initially solving the problem, traffic continued to build such that the line was quadrupled from London as far as Glendon Junction a little way to the south of the station. Here a new line had been opened through Corby and Manton which could be used by goods trains and those for Nottingham., Thus the line through Glendon northwards was double track as far as Leicester.
It closed on 4 January 1960 but the building still stands on the south side of the line.
Until 2006, the station building was subject to a statutory tenancy, and the daughter of the last Station Master lived there. In 2009 a group was formed, named the "Friends of Glendon and Rushton station", to restore the station which was granted Grade II listed status in 1981.
- "Opening of the Leicester and Hitchin Line". Bedfordshire Mercury. British Newspaper Archive. 9 May 1857. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Radford, B., (1983). Midland Line Memories: a Pictorial History of the Midland Railway Main Line Between London (St Pancras) & Derby, London: Bloomsbury Books.
- Preston Hendry, R., Powell Hendry, R., (1982) An historical survey of selected LMS stations : layouts and illustrations. Vol. 1 Oxford Publishing
- Butt, R.V.J., (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations, Yeovil: Patrick Stephens.
- "Derelict station could be returned to former glory". Northants ET. 2011-01-25. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Midland Main Line