Location of Glidden, Iowa
|• Total||1.11 sq mi (2.87 km2)|
|• Land||1.11 sq mi (2.87 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,237 ft (377 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,136|
|• Density||1,032.4/sq mi (398.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0456935|
Glidden is located at (42.058263, -94.728359).
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,146 people, 502 households, and 327 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,032.4 inhabitants per square mile (398.6/km2). There were 523 housing units at an average density of 471.2 per square mile (181.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 99.0% White, 0.6% Native American, 0.1% Asian, and 0.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.6% of the population.
There were 502 households of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.4% were married couples living together, 8.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 34.9% were non-families. 30.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.82.
The median age in the city was 44.8 years. 23.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.8% were from 25 to 44; 33.1% were from 45 to 64; and 16.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.8% male and 51.2% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,253 people, 481 households, and 303 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,231.6 people per square mile (474.3/km²). There were 517 housing units at an average density of 508.2 per square mile (195.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.20% White, 0.08% African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.16% Asian, and 0.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.24% of the population.
There were 481 households out of which 30.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.4% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 32.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 3.00.
23.6% are under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45 to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 87.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,333, and the median income for a family was $48,026. Males had a median income of $30,152 versus $21,914 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,437. 5.7% of the population and 3.7% of families are living below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 4.9% of those under the age of 18 and 1.9% of those 65 and older are below the poverty line.
The Glidden-Ralston Community School District consists of a combined elementary, middle and high school housed in one building. The school serves students from Glidden and the neighboring city of Ralston.
- Merle Hay (1896–1917) one of the first three American serviceman to die in World War I.
- Ralph G. Neppel, recipient of the Medal of Honor.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on January 24, 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on June 17, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth. Western Publishing Company. 1882. p. 512.
- Chicago and North Western Railway Company (1908). A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railways. p. 78.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 138.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find A Grave". Merle David Hay. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glidden, Iowa.|
- Portal style website for Glidden City government, Business, City Development and more
- Presbyterian Church of Glidden–History
- City Data Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Glidden.