|Type of business||Subsidiary|
|Headquarters||East Greenbush, New York|
|Founder(s)||John Schneiter and Thomas Brownell|
Jeffrey M. Killeen, Chairman and CEO John Schneiter, Co-founder and Director
William Hollyer, Chief Financial OfficerStephen MacMinn, Chief Technology Officer
|Services||Software and technology services, vertical search|
GlobalSpec is a technology services company which provides a search engine of engineering and industrial products, indexing over 180 million parts divided into 2,300,000 product families, from over 24,000 manufacturer and distributor catalogs. GlobalSpec is a domain-specific (or "vertical search") tool, in that its focused domain allows for optimized results. Within product families, searches can be narrowed by selecting values for parameters that are specific to that product type.
The website has over five million registered members, and as of 2009, membership was growing at a rate of 20,000 per week(membership required to view simple product specifications). In 2007, the company achieved 35% revenue growth, the sixth year in a row that the company achieved double-digit revenue growth. The website has approximately 3.8 million visitors a month. GlobalSpec has partnerships with several well-known companies, including:
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- The International Society of Automation (ISA)
SolidWorks has embedded access to GlobalSpec's search engine inside its computer-aided design software.
- "GlobalSpec, Inc.". Software and Technology Services. BusinessWeek. December 26, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "GlobalSpec". Companies. LinkedIn Corporation. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "GlobalSpec, Inc.". Bizjournals.com. Archived from the original on February 10, 2009. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Battelle, John (March 30, 2004). "GlobalSpec: Domain Specific Search and the Semantic Web". Searchblog. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Devin, Amber (Jan 22, 2008). "GlobalSpec Achieves Record Results in 2007". Reuters.com. Business Wire. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "GlobalSpec Partners with McGraw-Hill Professional". Submit Express. August 23, 2007. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- D'Errico, Richard A. (August 7, 2001). "GlobalSpec partners with AltaVista". The Business Review. American City Business Journals, Inc. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Deis, Louise (November 27, 2007). "GlobalSpec Announces Expanded Partnership with the IEEE". Engineering Library Blog. Princeton University Library. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "ISA Announces Partnership With GlobalSpec". International Society of Automation. October 25, 2005. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- "SolidWorks Corporation embeds 'The Engineering Web' in 3D mechanical design software". SolidWorks Corporation. Feb 14, 2005. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- M&A: June 13, 2012
- "IEEE Acquires GlobalSpec and the Engineering360 Platform from IHS to Create Powerful New Resource for the Global Engineering Community". IEEE. April 29, 2016. Retrieved 2016-04-29.