|Industry||Market research, advertising, technology, audience targeting|
|Founder||Thomas C. Smith|
|Thomas C. Smith|
(Founder & CEO)
(Director, Global Revenue)
(Director, Product & Marketing)
|Services||Research and consulting|
GWI (formerly GlobalWebIndex) is an audience targeting company founded by Tom Smith in 2009 that provides audience insight to publishers, media agencies and marketers around the world. GWI profiles consumers across 46 countries with a panel of 18m connected consumers, making it available through a subscription-based platform.
In October 2012, GWI surprised social media analysts and commentators by claiming that Twitter and Facebook had big followings in China and Vietnam (later lift the ban on Facebook) – countries where those social networks are blocked by their respective governments. The story was picked up by various news outlets including Huffington Post, Bloomberg and the Financial Times, where the rise of VPN has been attributed as the primary enabler for Chinese internet users circumventing website blocks. Almost a decade after the company was founded, and with customers including Google, Spotify, WPP and Omnicom Group, it closed its first round of series A funding in 2018.
GWI combines the survey data from 18 million panelists with advanced analytics and data science to provide marketers with an insight. The tool collects data in demographics, online behavior, device access, media consumption, social media, and marketing touch points – after which it presents data through charts and graphs.
The ongoing GWI research study, which interviews over 550,000 internet users across the world each year across 4 waves of research each year. Each respondent is questioned in detail, resulting in 40,000 data points for consumer profiling.
GWI's custom research is used by marketers and advertisers to run customised surveys and projects using their panel of global consumers, giving them access to data tailored to their target audience. The range of services offered through its custom arm include website and campaign analytics, brand tracking, concept testing and ad effectiveness studies.
In 2017, brand data was added to its range of services. It provides insight into over 4,000 tracked brands and can be used against the 40,000 data points of the core data set.
In 2019, its first ever B2B data set was launched, which analyses the behaviours and attitudes of working professionals. Using the dedicated panel of 17,000 respondents, its first report using the research was produced in collaboration with Slack Technologies Inc.
- Financial Times Blog, 4 October 2012 Archived 13 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- The Telegraph, Teens drift away from 'traditional' social networks
- Huffington Post, China Is Twitter's Most Active Country (Despite It Being Banned There)
- "Market research firm GlobalWebIndex takes first VC with $40M Series A". TechCrunch. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- GlobalWebIndex, GlobalWebIndex Tour
- GlobalWebIndex, GlobalWebIndex Research & Methodology.
- GlobalWebIndex. "Custom Market Research, Customized Surveys & Customer Research - GlobalWebIndex". www.globalwebindex.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- GlobalWebIndex. "Pricing Plans - Free & Premium Data Analytics & Tools - GlobalWebIndex". www.globalwebindex.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- GlobalWebIndex. "2020 B2B Customer Data - Research On Workplace Behaviors & Attitudes". www.globalwebindex.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "GlobalWebIndex Launches B2B Workforce Dataset, Partners with Slack on First Report Examining Global State of Work". www.businesswire.com. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2020.