This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Industry||Market research, advertising, technology, audience targeting|
|Founder||Thomas C. Smith|
Number of locations
|Thomas C. Smith|
(Founder & CEO)
(Chief Revenue Officer)
(Chief Product Officer)
|Services||Research and consulting|
GWI (formerly GlobalWebIndex) is an audience research company founded by Tom Smith in 2009 that provides audience insight to publishers, media agencies and marketers around the world. GWI profiles consumers across 48+ countries with a panel representing over 2.7 billion digital consumers, making insights available through a subscription-based platform.
In October 2012, GWI surprised social media analysts and commentators by claiming that Twitter and Facebook had big followings in China and Vietnam (later lift the ban on Facebook) – countries where those social networks are blocked by their respective governments. The story was picked up by various news outlets including Huffington Post, Bloomberg, and the Financial Times, where the rise of VPN has been attributed as the primary enabler for Chinese internet users circumventing website blocks. Almost a decade after the company was founded, and with customers including Google, Spotify, WPP and Omnicom Group, it closed its first round of series A funding in 2018. The company raised $180M series B funding in February 2022, and was valued at $850M.
GWI combines survey data from millions of panelists with advanced analytics and data science to provide professionals with audience insight. The platform collects data in demographics, online behavior, device access, media consumption, social media, and marketing touch points – after which it presents data through charts and dashboards.
Core is the ongoing GWI research study, which interviews internet users across the world, over four waves of research each year. Each respondent is questioned in detail, resulting in 200,000+ profiling points across the platform for consumer research.
In 2017, brand data was added. When launched, it provided insight into over 4,000+ tracked brands and can be used against the profiling points of the GWI Core data set.
In 2019, GWI launched its first ever B2B data set, which analyses the behaviours and attitudes of working professionals. Using a dedicated panel of 17,000+ respondents, its first report using the research was produced in collaboration with Slack Technologies Inc.
GWI's custom research is used by marketers and advertisers to run customized surveys and projects using their panel of global consumers, giving them access to data tailored to their target audience. The range of services offered through its custom arm include website and campaign analytics, brand tracking, concept testing, and ad effectiveness studies.
- Financial Times Blog, 4 October 2012 Archived 13 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- The Telegraph, Teens drift away from 'traditional' social networks
- Huffington Post, China Is Twitter's Most Active Country (Despite It Being Banned There)
- "Market research firm GlobalWebIndex takes first VC with $40M Series A". TechCrunch. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "GWI gets $180M to fuel update of its market research SaaS". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 July 2022.
- GlobalWebIndex, GlobalWebIndex Tour
- GlobalWebIndex. "Pricing Plans - Free & Premium Data Analytics & Tools - GlobalWebIndex". www.globalwebindex.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- GlobalWebIndex. "2020 B2B Customer Data - Research On Workplace Behaviors & Attitudes". www.globalwebindex.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "GlobalWebIndex Launches B2B Workforce Dataset, Partners with Slack on First Report Examining Global State of Work". www.businesswire.com. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- GlobalWebIndex. "Custom Market Research, Customized Surveys & Customer Research - GWI". www.GWI.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.