Global ATM Alliance
The Global ATM Alliance is a joint venture of several major international banks that allows customers of their banks to use their automated teller machine (ATM) card or debit card at another bank within the alliance with no international ATM access fees. Other fees, such as an international transaction or foreign currency fee, may still apply for some account holders. Participating banks include Australasia, Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, and South America.
The participating banks are as follows. Some of the listed banks, however, may honor ATM reciprocity only in one country for certain allied banks, e.g., fees may not be charged for Barclays branches in the United Kingdom, but fees may be charged for branches of Barclay's in other countries.
- Bank of America (United States)
- Barclay's (United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Pakistan, Gibraltar, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa, and other countries in Africa)
- BNP Paribas and its affiliate banks (France, Ukraine, Turkey, Poland, Morocco, Italy, New Caledonia, Réunion, Guyane, Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Luxembourg)
- Banca Nazionale del Lavoro (Italy)
- Deutsche Bank (Germany, Poland, Belgium, India, Spain, and Portugal)
- Scotiabank (Canada, Mexico, Chile, Peru, Guyana, and the Caribbean)
- Westpac (Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Papua New Guinea)
- 1 Bank-specific rules and information
- 2 External links
- 3 References
Bank-specific rules and information
Bank of America account holders
There are three separate fees that may apply to Bank of America account holders when using their ATM or debit cards outside the United States:
- The 3 percent "international transaction fee" for converting currencies. This fee is not waived under the Global ATM Alliance.
- The "non-Bank of America usage fee" for each withdrawal, transfer, or balance inquiry at non-Bank of America ATMs outside the United States. This fee is waived under the Global ATM Alliance within the following coverage areas.
- The "ATM operator access fee". This fee is waived under the Global ATM Alliance within the following coverage areas.
|Coverage Area||Global ATM Alliance Bank|
|United Kingdom: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey, and the Channel Islands.||Barclays|
|Germany, Spain||Deutsche Bank|
|Canada, Mexico, Chile, Peru, and the Caribbean, including Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, the Turks & Caicos Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands.||Scotiabank|
|Australia and New Zealand||Westpac Bank|
Westpac Bank account holders
Westpac cash withdrawal fee
A holder of a Westpac "everyday bank account" or "savings account" may incur a A$5 fee when making a successful cash withdrawal at an ATM outside Australia. This fee does not apply to two types of savings accounts: "eSaver" and "Bump Savings". The fee is waived when using a Mastercard/Cirrus ATM of a participant in the Global ATM Alliance in the following countries:
|Country/Territory||MasterCard/Cirrus ATM network|
|New Zealand||Westpac NZ|
|Fiji, Papua New Guinea||Westpac Pacific Banking|
|France, Italy (under the BNL Brand)||BNP Paribas|
|Ukraine||Ukrsibbank - Private Bank|
|Germany, Spain, Poland||Deutsche Bank|
|United Kingdom, Gibraltar, Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, the Seychelles, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe||Barclays Bank|
|USA||Bank of America|
|China||Bank of Nanjing|
|Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan||DBS|
|Canada, Chile, Guyana, Mexico, Peru, and the Caribbean. The Caribbean countries are: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles (Saint Maarten), Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos, the US Virgin Islands.||Scotiabank|
Westpac foreign transaction fee
A holder of a Westpac "everyday bank account" or "savings account" may incur a foreign transaction fee equal to 3 percent of the Australian dollars transaction amount when making a debit or credit card withdrawal at an ATM outside Australia. This fee is composed of the 2 percent Westpac processing fee and the 1 percent Westpac on-charged scheme fee. This fee is not waived when using an ATM of the Global ATM Alliance.
Barclays account holders
A customer can withdraw cash from a Barclays account from a cash machine in the Global Alliance without transaction charges. If the customer uses a cash machine that isn't in the Global Alliance or use a Barclaycard, additional charges apply.
For Barclays account holders:
|Coverage Area||Bank Name|
|New Zealand||Westpac Bank|
|Pacific Islands||Westpac Bank|
|South Africa||Barclays Africa (formerly ABSA)|
|United States||Bank of America|
|Great Britain, Worldwide||Barclays|
BNP Paribas account holders
Consorsbank (Germany) customers are eligible for free cash withdrawals from ATMs operated by:
- Bank of America (USA) - BNP Paribas (France) - BNL Banca Nazionale Del Lavoro (Italy) - Barclays United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands) - Deutsche Bank (including in Portugal) - Scotiabank (Canada and the Caribbean) - Westpac Bank (Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, Papua New-Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands) - UKRSIBBank (Ukraine)
Deutsche Bank account holders
For Deutsche Bank account holders:
|Coverage Area||Bank Name|
|Germany and worldwide||Deutsche Bank|
|United States||Bank of America|
|Great Britain, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Tanzania, Zimbabwe||Barclays|
|Australia, New Zealand||Westpac Bank|
Scotiabank account holders
Similar to Bank of America, Scotiabank only waives the ATM fee at partner institutions for certain countries. The Scotiabank website includes a table with a column title "Going to" and a column title "Use this ABM". The specific combination of each country and each bank are the only ATMs where the fee will be waived. For instance, for BNP Paribas, the fees will only be waived in France and some French overseas departments and territories, but not BNP Paribas locations in Italy, Belgium and Luxembourg.
Tangerine account holders
Tangerine will waive the international ABM access fee and Global ATM Alliance members will waive any terminal convenience or usage fees for any withdrawal transactions performed at Global ATM Alliance machines with a Tangerine client card. "Free access" does not apply to Scotiabank ABMs in Costa Rica, Haiti, Panama or Uruguay.
- Bank of America
- Five big banks form Global ATM Alliance
- BNP Paribas joins global ATM alliance
- UkrSibbank- Global ATM alliance
- BNL d'Italia Bank Locator
- "Learn about using ATM cards and debit cards outside the United States (Bank of America login required)". Retrieved August 1, 2010.
- "Global ATM Alliance - International & Migrant - Westpac NZ". www.westpac.co.nz.
- "BNP Paribas: an international bank serving local clients - BNP Paribas". www.bnpparibas.com.
- "Using ATMs overseas". Westpac Banking Corporation. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "FAQs: ATMs and ATM Fees - What is the Global ATM Alliance?". Bank of America. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "Deposit accounts for personal and self-managed superannuation fund customers" (PDF). Westpac Banking Corporation. April 8, 2017. pp. 36, 38. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "Scotiabank - Global ATM Alliance". scotiabank.com. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "Tangerine Bank: ABM Locator". tangerine.ca. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "Tangerine Bank Fair Fees Schedule" (PDF). tangerine.ca. Retrieved 2017-03-09.