Global Engine Alliance
This article needs to be updated.August 2019)(
|Bruce A. Braumbach (General Manager)|
In September 2009, Chrysler bought Mitsubishi and Hyundai's shares, after 5 years of allied research and development, making its Dundee, Michigan plant a wholly owned subsidiary of what was then Chrysler Group LLC.
Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance LLC
Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance LLC, (GEMA) was the manufacturing arm of the Global Engine Alliance and consisted of five factories worldwide. Production began in 2005, with an annual capacity of approximately two million engines; each plant was capable of producing 420,000. Twenty different automobile models from the three companies were to use the engines. Chrysler had expected to use GEMA engines in ten models and projects, and buy up to 840,000 GEMA engines annually.
The Dundee plants were purchased by Chrysler in December, 2012, and renamed the Chrysler Dundee Engine Plant(s). After Chrysler's assimilation into FCA, the plant simply became known as the Dundee Engine Plant.
The initial design of the engine block and cylinder head was handled by Hyundai. The design features Siamese bores, an aluminium block with cast-iron cylinder liners, and an aluminium head. Different cylinder liners could be fitted to increase or decrease displacement depending on manufacturers needs. Each manufacturer configured their variants of the initial design differently based on their engineering needs and standards, so consumers may experience very different power, fuel efficiency, and "feel" from each manufacturer.
- Chrysler World engine - Chrysler's GEMA built engines
- Mitsubishi 4B1 engine - Mitsubishi's GEMA built engines
- Hyundai Theta engine - Hyundai's GEMA built engines
- "GEMA takes off: although some people think that the only place to build new manufacturing plants in the U.S. is in the southern states, a team of global companies has constructed one of the most flexible powertrain plants in the world in Michigan. Why? One answer is talent", Kevin M. Kelly, Automotive Design & Production, October 2005, FindArticles.com, 18 November 2007
- "Looking @ DCX's Global Engine" Archived 2006-03-18 at the Wayback Machine, Automotive Design and Production, February 2005 issue
- "Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance World Engine Plant: Open for Business", Global Engine Alliance LLC press release, October 3, 2005. Retrieved on September 1, 2006.
- "DaimlerChrysler, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi Motors to Form Global Engine Alliance", Mitsubishi Motors website
- "Lean and Flexible Manufacturing", Waurzyniak, Patrick, Manufacturing Engineering, September 2006, FindArticles.com, 18 November 2007
- "Chrysler Buys GEMA Stakes from Mitsubishi and Hyundai", Holmes, Jake, Car and Driver Blog, September 2009
- "FCA US Media - Dundee Engine Plant". media.fcanorthamerica.com. Retrieved 2019-09-01.